* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-15 23:13 sl
From: sl @ 2015-06-15 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that
> colour scheme, or is gcc to blame for the inaccuracy?

The old web page for the book had a nice collection of covers from
around the world:

	http://9p.io/cm/cs/cbook/index.html

sl

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-15 23:28 ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2015-06-15 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks, but it seems as if that web page is for the 2nd edition. I have two copies of this, one of which is much thicker than the other, despite having the same number of pages, but that’s a different wildly off-topic topic. I used to have a copy of the 1st edition, and I’m sure that the background colour was white. Did there ever exist a version with a blue cover?

Also, I think that “It’s a fair cop, but gcc is to blame” should be an adequate defence in any court of law.

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 11:13 am, sl@9front.org wrote:
>
>> So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that
>> colour scheme, or is gcc to blame for the inaccuracy?
>
> The old web page for the book had a nice collection of covers from
> around the world:
>
> 	http://9p.io/cm/cs/cbook/index.html
>
> sl

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-16  0:13   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2015-06-16  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ISTR the first edition cover was green on white, but that could have been a
reprint (or a faulty memory).

Steve

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, but it seems as if that web page is for the 2nd edition. I have
> two copies of this, one of which is much thicker than the other, despite
> having the same number of pages, but that’s a different wildly off-topic
> topic. I used to have a copy of the 1st edition, and I’m sure that the
> background colour was white. Did there ever exist a version with a blue
> cover?
>
> Also, I think that “It’s a fair cop, but gcc is to blame” should be an
> adequate defence in any court of law.
>

> > On Jun 16, 2015, at 11:13 am, sl@9front.org wrote:
> >
> >> So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that
> >> colour scheme, or is gcc to blame for the inaccuracy?
> >
> > The old web page for the book had a nice collection of covers from
> > around the world:
> >
> >       http://9p.io/cm/cs/cbook/index.html
> >
> > sl

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-16  3:48     ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2015-06-16  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My copy of the first edition from 1978 has a white cover with blue lettering.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-16  4:29       ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2015-06-16  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 3:48 pm, Kim Shrier <kim@westryn.net> wrote:
>
> My copy of the first edition from 1978 has a white cover with blue lettering.
>
> Kim

Mine did too. The one on the show is clearly not the second edition, but has a light blue cover with darker blue lettering, apart from the “C”, which is red. Tragic obsessive, me??? I blame gcc.

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-16  5:25         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-06-16  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

at one point there was a web page with images of many (maybe all) K&R
C covers from various prints and translations.  i think it was a page
that dmr had created (or perhaps bwk, i can't remember exactly).  i
can't seem to find it now.

@ 2015-06-16 13:48           ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2015-06-16 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com>:

> at one point there was a web page with images of many (maybe all) K&R
> C covers from various prints and translations.  i think it was a page
> that dmr had created (or perhaps bwk, i can't remember exactly).  i
> can't seem to find it now.

This list gets downright goddamn surreal at times.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-16 14:29             ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-06-16 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks.  not surreal; just careless :)

yes, sl's link to 9p.io archive is the one i was remembering.

@ 2015-06-17  5:43             ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2015-06-17  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> This list gets downright goddamn surreal at times.
>
> khm

You say that as if it’s a bad thing.

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-16  3:35     ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2015-06-16  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 04:52 AM, Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:06:48 +1200 Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > As the subject line says, wildly off-topic. But some-one here might know =
> > the answer, and it=E2=80=99s been bothering me.
> >
> > Such are my failings, I=E2=80=99ve been watching the second series of =
> > =E2=80=9CHalt and Catch Fire=E2=80=9D in order to catch up with what the =
> > kids are up to these days. In the second episode one of the characters =
> > opens what looks like a copy of K&R first edition, but the cover is =
> > blue. I thought that the colour correction on my TV might be deceiving =
> > me, or possibly the vertical hold was on the fritz, but he did it again =
> > in the third episode, and the cover was still blue.
> >
> > So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that colour =
> > scheme, or is gcc to blame for the inaccuracy?=
>
> Amazon trade ins of The C programming Language shows a cyan
> blue cover -- it says "Eastern Economic Edition" and it is the
> second edition.

Yes, I can confirm that. It is sold here in India. It used to be the
same white cover as the international edition (my copy from 1993,
eastern economy edition, has a white cover).

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-15 23:39   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2015-06-15 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com>:

> So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that

Quoting Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com>:

> Thanks, but it seems as if that web page is for the 2nd edition.

ok, still yes.

The linked page is for all editions.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-15 23:22   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2015-06-15 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:06:48 +1200 Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:
> As the subject line says, wildly off-topic. But some-one here might know =
> the answer, and it=E2=80=99s been bothering me.
>
> Such are my failings, I=E2=80=99ve been watching the second series of =
> =E2=80=9CHalt and Catch Fire=E2=80=9D in order to catch up with what the =
> kids are up to these days. In the second episode one of the characters =
> opens what looks like a copy of K&R first edition, but the cover is =
> blue. I thought that the colour correction on my TV might be deceiving =
> me, or possibly the vertical hold was on the fritz, but he did it again =
> in the third episode, and the cover was still blue.
>
> So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that colour =
> scheme, or is gcc to blame for the inaccuracy?=

Amazon trade ins of The C programming Language shows a cyan
blue cover -- it says "Eastern Economic Edition" and it is the
second edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-Brian-W-Kernighan/dp/8120305965/ref=sr_1_2?s=tradein-aps&srs=9187220011&ie=UTF8&qid=1434409938&sr=8-2&keywords=the+c+programming+language

* Re: [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-15 23:15   ` Ryan Gonzalez
From: Ryan Gonzalez @ 2015-06-15 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's always GCC.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:

> As the subject line says, wildly off-topic. But some-one here might know
> the answer, and it’s been bothering me.
>
> Such are my failings, I’ve been watching the second series of “Halt and
> Catch Fire” in order to catch up with what the kids are up to these days.
> In the second episode one of the characters opens what looks like a copy of
> K&R first edition, but the cover is blue. I thought that the colour
> correction on my TV might be deceiving me, or possibly the vertical hold
> was on the fritz, but he did it again in the third episode, and the cover
> was still blue.
>
> So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that colour
> scheme, or is gcc to blame for the inaccuracy?

--
Ryan
[ERROR]: Your autotools build scripts are 200 lines longer than your
program. Something’s wrong.
http://kirbyfan64.github.io/

* [9fans] Wildly off-topic
@ 2015-06-15 23:06 ` Andrew Simmons
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2015-06-15 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As the subject line says, wildly off-topic. But some-one here might know the answer, and it’s been bothering me.

Such are my failings, I’ve been watching the second series of “Halt and Catch Fire” in order to catch up with what the kids are up to these days. In the second episode one of the characters opens what looks like a copy of K&R first edition, but the cover is blue. I thought that the colour correction on my TV might be deceiving me, or possibly the vertical hold was on the fritz, but he did it again in the third episode, and the cover was still blue.

So my question is, did there ever exist an edition of K&R in that colour scheme, or is gcc to blame for the inaccuracy?