* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-10  6:50 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-10  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ah, it seems that if I conduct
	echo open /imaps/... > /mail/fs/ctl
from within Acme, and then load up Mail, it's much slower than doing
the same outside and starting Mail within Acme.  Not sure why.
Regardless, my appologies for prematurely calling the application
slow.  ☺

However,
	echo open '/imaps/imap.gmail.com/user@example.com/All Mail' > /mail/fs/ctl
seems to create /mail/fs/Mail, but says it does not exist when I try
to to access it.  Quite weird.  Is it just a naming problem with the
space, or something different?

Regards,
ak

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-10 10:09 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-10 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> However,
> 	echo open '/imaps/imap.gmail.com/user@example.com/All Mail' > /mail/fs/ctl
> seems to create /mail/fs/Mail, but says it does not exist when I try
> to to access it.  Quite weird.  Is it just a naming problem with the
> space, or something different?

i think i mentioned this before.  this is a quirk of upas/nedmail —
there are a few cases where ned assumes that you don't
mean the already-open mailbox in /mail/fs and tries to
reopen the same in /mail/box/$user.  this can result in
doubly-opened mailboxes.  this is no big deal for small,
local mailboxes.  but with upas, it's a big pain if your
mailbox is big and doesn't work if your mailbox doesn't
live in /mail/box/$user

i didn't think this behavior was helpful, so i changed
ned to prefer already-open mailboxes:

	; useupas
	; echo open /mail/box/quanstro/t Mail > /mail/fs/ctl
	; upas/nedmail -f Mail
	!can't 'open Mail Mail': '/mail/box/quanstro/Mail' does not exist
	upas/nedmail: can't read
	; usenupas
	; echo open /mail/box/quanstro/x Mail >/mail/fs/ctl
	minooka; upas/nedmail -f Mail
	4 messages

acme Mail already does the right thing as
far as i can tell.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-10  9:46             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-10  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Ah. Just grabbing the 9fans label via GMail IMAP, with 540 or so
> messages, was horrible enough -- I can't imagine how horrible dealing
> with the All Mail label might be, just to move a few messages around.
>

> ak

nupas is generally faster after the first connection.
http://www.quanstro.net/plan9/nupas.pdf
/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/nupas

- erik

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-10  4:07           ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-10  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ah. Just grabbing the 9fans label via GMail IMAP, with 540 or so
messages, was horrible enough -- I can't imagine how horrible dealing
with the All Mail label might be, just to move a few messages around.

ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3276 bytes --]

From: Tom Lieber <tom@alltom.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:55:45 -0500

2009/2/9 Akshat Kumar <akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net>:
> Is it possible to move mail from one GMail "label"
> to another, using UPAS FS? I'd like to do the equivalent
> of "archiving" (moving stuff from Inbox to 9fans, etc.).
> I tried Acme Mail's `Save', but that only operates
> in /mail/box/$user/ it seems -- as opposed to /mail/fs.

Gmail IMAP interprets deleting a message as archiving it, so it moves
to All Mail.

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-10  3:55         ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2009-02-10  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-02-10  3:48         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-10  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Feb  9 22:45:43 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:

> Is it possible to move mail from one GMail "label"
> to another, using UPAS FS?

no.  labels are not supported.

> of "archiving" (moving stuff from Inbox to 9fans, etc.).
> I tried Acme Mail's `Save', but that only operates
> in /mail/box/$user/ it seems -- as opposed to /mail/fs.

how about nedmail?

	upas/nedmail -f $source
	: ,s $dest

- erik

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-10  3:46       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-10  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

@ 2009-02-10  3:44       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-10  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

Nah, I just didn't have a factotum entry for SMTP username and pass.
Everything is fine otherwise.

ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3022 bytes --]

From: lucio@proxima.alt.za
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:04:36 +0200

> EHLO plan9
> the connection is lost and upas tries again -- something is amiss.

I seem to recall that MTAs are set to demand a full FQDN for the EHLO
message?

I guess GMAIL could send you some explanatory message.

++L

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-09 15:04     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-02-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-02-09 13:40       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-09 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i think you should use a $site with a fqdn or factotum should have

rfc 2822 requires a resolvable domain name.  while
many hosts send fairly random ehlo strings, it's not
legal and worse, a good hint that the machine may
be a spam bot.  nupas/smtpd either hangs up on
a client with a bogus connect string or requires auth,
depending on configuration.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-09 13:23       ` akumar
From: akumar @ 2009-02-09 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This was indeed the key.

Thanks!
ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4030 bytes --]

From: "Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave" <gdiaz@9grid.es>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:30:10 +0100

Hello

i think you should use a $site with a fqdn or factotum should have
your user / password to use with smtp.gmail.com (smtp needs that key
in order to authenticate you againts gmail i think).

slds.

gabi

El 09/02/2009, a las 13:12, Akshat Kumar escribió:

> 2009/2/9 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
>> Re outgoing mail via gmail.
>>
>> I haven't used gmail for a while but when I did I used this as the
>> last
>> line of my /mail/lib/remotemail.
>>
>> # exec /bin/upas/smtp -d -a -h quintile.net net!smtp.gmail.com quintile@gmail.com
>>  $*
>
> This much is fine. However, upas/smtp makes the connection with GMail,
> and when the conversation goes something like,
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> STARTTLS
> 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> EHLO plan9
> the connection is lost and upas tries again -- something is amiss.
>
> I'm looking at upas/smtp source and just trying to construct a
> successful
> conversation with GMail's SMTP on port 587, but it isn't going so
> well.
> (I cannot do SMTP on the normal port, because my ISP blocks
> outbound SMTP -- 587 is OK).

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-09 12:30     ` Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave
From: Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave @ 2009-02-09 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

i think you should use a $site with a fqdn or factotum should have
your user / password to use with smtp.gmail.com (smtp needs that key
in order to authenticate you againts gmail i think).

slds.

gabi

El 09/02/2009, a las 13:12, Akshat Kumar escribió:

> 2009/2/9 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
>> Re outgoing mail via gmail.
>>
>> I haven't used gmail for a while but when I did I used this as the
>> last
>> line of my /mail/lib/remotemail.
>>
>> # exec /bin/upas/smtp -d -a -h quintile.net net!smtp.gmail.com quintile@gmail.com
>>  $*
>
> This much is fine. However, upas/smtp makes the connection with GMail,
> and when the conversation goes something like,
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> STARTTLS
> 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> EHLO plan9
> the connection is lost and upas tries again -- something is amiss.
>
> I'm looking at upas/smtp source and just trying to construct a
> successful
> conversation with GMail's SMTP on port 587, but it isn't going so
> well.
> (I cannot do SMTP on the normal port, because my ISP blocks
> outbound SMTP -- 587 is OK).

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-09 12:12   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-09 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-02-09  8:29 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-02-09  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Re outgoing mail via gmail.

I haven't used gmail for a while but when I did I used this as the last
line of my /mail/lib/remotemail.

# exec /bin/upas/smtp -d -a -h quintile.net net!smtp.gmail.com quintile@gmail.com $*

You will also need to set up your TLS certificate, I think this is covered
in the wiki, but roughly take the thumbprint which will be logged somwhere
in /sys/log/ - mail I think, the first time you try it. Then put this thumbprint
into /sys/lib/tls/mail.

I made no changed to rewrite for outgoing mail.

You may also want to add some header lines (particularly a From: line
with your full name) to /mail/box/$user/headers.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-09  0:57 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-09  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akumar, 9fans

> Using upas/fs -f /imaps/imap.gmail.com I can access my GMail
> Inbox. The mail structure is posted in /mail/fs/mbox
> However, there may be local mail as well as other labels (i.e., folders)
> in GMail that I would want to access -- it seems that specifying
> a new folder at GMail, i.e.,
>   upas -f /imaps/imap.gmail.com/user@mail.example.com/label
> replaces the /mail/fs/mbox structure with the mail at this new place.
> Is there any way to have these co-exist -- i.e., /mail/fs/mbox for
> the original, and /mail/fs/label for subsequent labels/folders I want
> to access?

yes.  you can have as many mailboxes open as you wish.
once upas/fs is running, you can
	u = user@mail.example.com
	l = label
	echo open /imaps/imap.gmail.com/$u/$l $l>/mail/fs/ctl

in fact if labels is a list you could
	for(i in $labels)
		echo open /imaps/imap.gmail.com/$u/$i $i>/mail/fs/ctl

side note:
upas/nedmail's rules for when to open an already
open folder confused me a little bit.  i changed the
nupas version to prefer an already-open folder over
one in /mail/box/$user to ease using a secondary
imap mailbox.

- erik

* [9fans] UPAS, IMAP, and SMTP
@ 2009-02-09  0:35 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-09  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Using upas/fs -f /imaps/imap.gmail.com I can access my GMail
Inbox. The mail structure is posted in /mail/fs/mbox
However, there may be local mail as well as other labels (i.e., folders)
in GMail that I would want to access -- it seems that specifying
a new folder at GMail, i.e.,
  upas -f /imaps/imap.gmail.com/user@mail.example.com/label
replaces the /mail/fs/mbox structure with the mail at this new place.
Is there any way to have these co-exist -- i.e., /mail/fs/mbox for
the original, and /mail/fs/label for subsequent labels/folders I want
to access?

Next, SMTP: would someone sending mail through GMail be kind
enough to show me their /mail/lib/^(rewrite qmail remotemail) please?
Part of the problem I'm facing in setup is with the From: header --
in remotemail (or somewhere) I need to specify my GMail account name
for smtp to use, and then I need to specify, in my mail, the address
that the mail should actually go as (since I use various names and these
two are different).

ak