* [9fans] Teleporting Mouse in VMWare Fusion 1.1.3
@ 2008-09-23 15:59 Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 2008-09-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been trying to install the plan9.iso into VMWare Fusion on my
mac.  I see from the list archives that other people have been
experiencing the odd mouse pointer teleportation issue I've been
suffering.  Does anyone know what is causing this, or how to fix it?

I suspect the vmware drivers in plan9 have bit rotted slightly.  If
it's too much work to fix them, is there any way to at least turn off
explicit vmware drivers in plan9 and see whether I'm right?

Cheers,
	Gary
--
Email me:          gary@gnu.org                          ._(()
Read my blog:      http://blog.azazil.net                 \' )

* Re: [9fans] Teleporting Mouse in VMWare Fusion 1.1.3
@ 2008-09-23 16:09 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-09-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if you moved the mouse during rio startup you may cause rio to be out
of sync with the values from the mouse driver. there is a reset
command in the driver which causes this behaviour to stop. if you have
a window open "echo reset > /dev/mousectl" sometimes helps. rebooting
and keeping the hands off the mouse while rio is booting should make
it work (fingers crossed :)

@ 2008-09-23 16:28   ` Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 2008-09-23 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the response!

On 24 Sep 2008, at 00:09, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Gary V. Vaughan <gary@gnu.org> wrote:
>> I've been trying to install the plan9.iso into VMWare Fusion on my
>> mac.  I
>> see from the list archives that other people have been experiencing
>> the odd
>> mouse pointer teleportation issue I've been suffering.  Does anyone
>> know
>> what is causing this, or how to fix it?
>>
>> I suspect the vmware drivers in plan9 have bit rotted slightly.  If
>> it's too
>> much work to fix them, is there any way to at least turn off
>> explicit vmware
>> drivers in plan9 and see whether I'm right?
>
> if you moved the mouse during rio startup you may cause rio to be out
> of sync with the values from the mouse driver. there is a reset
> command in the driver which causes this behaviour to stop. if you have
> a window open "echo reset > /dev/mousectl" sometimes helps. rebooting
> and keeping the hands off the mouse while rio is booting should make
> it work (fingers crossed :)

I'm pretty sure I didn't move the mouse during boot, but I'll definitely
give the /dev/mousectl reset a try.

Unfortunately, vmware gets a bit antsy if you try to run multiple
versions
without rebooting inbetween, and I have some processes running that I
can't
stop tonight.  I'll report back on whether a careful 'hands-off-mouse'
rio
boot prevents the problem tomorrow.

Cheers,
	Gary