From: Dean Ash <Dean.Ash@Ingenix.com>
To: "'9fans@cse.psu.edu'" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] stats: ethererr
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:32:48 -0500	[thread overview]

my stats display has ethererr completely filled up. Not good. I looked in
the man page and it doesn't tell me what ethererr signifys. So I went to
/net/ether0/0/stats since that directory is in the man pages and this is
what I found:

in:61
out: 54
crc errs: 21
overflows: 0
soft overflows: 0
framing errs: 34
buffer errs: 36
outputs errs: 0
prom: 0
addr: 00010266eff9

Can anyone tell me what this means? I'm guessing that the addr is the
physical address of my ethernet card but I'm probably wrong.

ip/ipconfig -DG still doesn't print any debug info and my timeout/error
message is still
ip/ipconfig: no success with DHCP

I'm on an ethernet that uses tcp/ip and gets ip addresses using DHCP.
connected to this network are mostly Win NT machines. so maybe the machine
dishing out the ip addresses is an NT machine also I'll have to check, don't
really know if that makes a difference or not.

One thing I have discovered, by plugging in my NT machine into the ethernet
port I'm using for my p9 machine, is that my NT machine can't get an address
using that port so I'm guessing it's either broken or turned off somehow.
While plugged into the questionable port I get this error:
A domain controller for your domain could not be contacted.
You have been logged on using cached account information.
Changes to your profile since you last logged on may not be available.

click ok, and then I find that the microsoft exchange server can't be found
and no internet. all of which I kind of figured after seeing that error
message.

again though my primary question (if there was really one in this message)
is what are the errors in /net/ether0/0/stats telling me. I need this info
so I can finally solve this network junk and get hooked up to my network.

thanks for your help

Dean