* [9fans] X11 for Plan 9
@ 2003-04-09 15:38 will551
From: will551 @ 2003-04-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi guys
had a play around with X11 for Plan 9 - great to see it running
A couple of questions:
o why is twm for X11 on Plan 9 2 Megs where its 180K on Sun?
    In general the binaries seem to be a lot bigger. This goes against the
    Plan 9 norm of much smaller binaries.
o xterm will not run for me - it says it has run out of ptys
o I cannot connect to the X display from another non Plan 9 box
   running X - this has put a serious dampener on my playing of xtank and
   xrisk!
l8r
will551

* Re: [9fans] X11 for Plan 9
@ 2003-04-09 15:42 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-09 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> o why is twm for X11 on Plan 9 2 Megs where its 180K on Sun?

because it is statically linked on plan 9 and not on sun.

>     In general the binaries seem to be a lot bigger. This goes against the
>     Plan 9 norm of much smaller binaries.

plan 9 binaries are smaller because the programs are
simpler.  but there's no magic: if you compile an enormous
program you get an enormous binary.  look at /386/bin/gs.

> o xterm will not run for me - it says it has run out of ptys

you need to copy /n/sources/extra/ptyfs.c to /sys/src/ape/9src
and then build it.  the "then build it" is not trivial, since it's
an old 9P1 server and needs to be converted.  steve simon
was asking about this a few days ago, so you might want to
check with him to avoid duplicating effort.

> o I cannot connect to the X display from another non Plan 9 box
>    running X - this has put a serious dampener on my playing of xtank and
>    xrisk!

xhost +

russ

* Re: [9fans] X11 for Plan 9
@ 2003-04-09 19:35   ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-04-09 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

xhost had a byte-order bug when I last used it, which made it
necessary to use reversed IP addresses and not domain names, on some
machines, notably 386s.  If you try

	xhost a.b.c.d		# e.g., xhost 128.100.73.1

and it doesn't let you connect from a.b.c.d, try

	xhost d.c.b.a		# e.g., xhost 1.73.100.128