* Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?]
@ 2007-05-11  4:58 Vester Thacker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vester Thacker @ 2007-05-11  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion?
>
> jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code.  I started work on it on
> my Dell Latitude D610, but cardbus driver issues got in the way.  By
> the time I got close to resolving that, the laptop got replaced.

Thanks Lyndon. Is anyone else working on the driver?

Regards,
Vester

* Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?]
@ 2007-05-11  5:02 ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-05-11  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What chipset does it have?

I am gonna work on 4401, 4311 and several other "broadcoms" I have...

On 5/10/07, Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> > > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion?
> >
> > jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code.  I started work on it on
> > my Dell Latitude D610, but cardbus driver issues got in the way.  By
> > the time I got close to resolving that, the laptop got replaced.
>
> Thanks Lyndon. Is anyone else working on the driver?
>
> Regards,
> Vester

* [9fans] Re: Broadcom driver discussion
@ 2007-05-11  5:09 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2007-05-11  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  Is anyone else working on the driver?

Why?  Broadcom refuses to release any info on their hardware.  Why
should anyone spend time prying the lid off a welded-shut trashcan
when they can spend much less time writing drivers for chipsets with
documentation.  Well, more documentation than Broadcom.  Which is to
say 'any'.

There are alternatives to Broadcom. Just buy them.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] Re: Broadcom driver discussion
@ 2007-05-11  5:16   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-05-11  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We all know broadcom is shit, but there are still people interested in
having a working driver (and for the record, that doesn't include me),
and there are people that have already at least partially working
drivers.

There is *no* reason why existing code should be kept locked up where
nobody can find it. *period*

uriel

@ 2007-05-11  5:35 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-05-11  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/11/07, Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> > > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion?
> >
> > jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code.  I started work on it on
> > my Dell Latitude D610, but cardbus driver issues got in the way.  By
> > the time I got close to resolving that, the laptop got replaced.
>
> Thanks Lyndon. Is anyone else working on the driver?

Question is who has the latest code and why the hell it is not
released so others can test/work on it?

By the way, there is some code in
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/uriel/mirror/bc.tgz for
bcm57xx, I have no clue in what state it is in or if it is the latest
code.

Eric Van Hensbergen said two months ago in a private post to the GSoC website:
"jmk says bcm4401 is done internally and working, but just needs
tidying up." What that means is beyond me, and as far as I know the
code is still nowhere to be found.

Again, this is not the first, second, third or twentieth time we have
had to play this silly little dances with people keeping code private
and everyone else having to play ridiculous guess games.

It is so hard to understand that this is not just wrong, but it is
specially *stupid*?

uriel

* Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?]
@ 2007-05-11  5:39   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2007-05-11  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It is so hard to understand that this is not just wrong, but it is
> specially *stupid*?

While I understand your sentiments, I must ask:

	Where do you get off telling me what to do with my stuff?

--lyndon

* Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?]
@ 2007-05-11  5:57     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-05-11  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can do with your stuff whatever the hell you like.

Sorry for trying to promote some sense and less waste of resources and
people's time and efforts.

To hell with Plan 9, it seems that nobody gives a fuck about it
anyway, I'm certainly a moron for giving a shit.

uriel

@ 2007-05-11 13:45       ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2007-05-11 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Uriel. You're spouting about things you know nothing about. As usual.
The broadcom code that you have there is simply a compilation of
sources and compiled sources for various non-Plan 9 platforms, like I
told you the first time you posted it. The Plan 9 stuff in there was
too minimal to be useful. The BCM44xx is NOTHING like the ServerWorks
57xx chipsets. It's a different driver. And can everybody just fucking
stop with the FUD? PLEASE? In all these threads?

I'm helping quanstro out with getting documentation and getting
something out there. Come on, people, this isn't high school drama.

Also, Uriel. Please see archives regarding my AC'97 post. There are
many benefits to the CMU AC'97 driver that the one Aki wrote doesn't
have. Take some lithium for Heaven's sake before you have a stroke.

--dho

* Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?]
@ 2007-05-12  0:13         ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2007-05-12  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/11/07, Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com> wrote:

> 57xx chipsets. It's a different driver. And can everybody just fucking
> stop with the FUD? PLEASE? In all these threads?
>
> I'm helping quanstro out with getting documentation and getting
> something out there. Come on, people, this isn't high school drama.

In my case, it is closer to geriatric drama. ;)  In hindsight, I
shouldn't had separated the topics into multiple threads. It was not
my intent to create noise. I was hoping to clear the air by asking
reasonable questions and hoping for reasonable answers in well
organized threads.

Perhaps this is not the correct forum for asking questions concerning
the Plan 9 community topics. I am certain most folks here would much
rather spend their time discussing technical issues than addressing
community concerns. Should we move the community concerns to another
mailing list?

@ 2007-05-12  4:22           ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2007-05-12  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Should we move the community concerns to another
> mailing list?

No, we should force every fresh "community" discussion to go through
some sort of Jim Choates filter.  This is the place for community
discussion, at least for some of us, but Uriel's tone reminds me that
some are community builders and some are community sponges.  No
community is perfect, but 9fans seems to work OK without Uriel's
whinges.

++L

* Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e
@ 2007-05-12  4:40             ` matt
From: matt @ 2007-05-12  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 > but 9fans seems to work OK without Uriel's whinges.

He's not the only whinger. Give me a Uriel plan9 rant over C99 whining
any day.

* Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e
@ 2007-05-12 14:32               ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2007-05-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> He's not the only whinger. Give me a Uriel plan9 rant over C99 whining
> any day.

Touché.

++L