* [9fans] Plan 9 Workshop
@ 2007-08-20 18:48 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2007-08-20 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The CFP is now at plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9.html

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Workshop
@ 2007-08-20 19:05 ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2007-08-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The CFP is now at plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9.html
>
> 	Sape

My typo.  It should be
	plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9
or
	plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/index.html

I'm still fixing some details (especially links from this page).

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Workshop
@ 2007-08-22  7:48   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-08-22  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You know what I'd really like to see? It would be great if the
organizing committee could invite Rob Pike to give a talk: an update
to "Systems Software Research Is Irrelevant" (preferably with an
accompanying article, so we're not left with just the talk slides).

The reason for this is that the original article does not take into
account (and hardly could've predicted) the emergence of another
organization, namely Google, that has the resources and the people
with the right technical ability to rival Bell Labs of old and could
potentially, if it isn't already, invest a considerable amount in
researching, building and developing novel and interesting systems.
Having observed both the fall from grace of BL and the rise of Google,
it would be nice (at least to me) to learn how this changes, if at
all, the spectrum of the original article.

Note that it's not important to know whether Google is building its
own OS, but just to observe the effects of it being the proverbial
800lbs gorilla in the room :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Workshop
@ 2007-08-22 11:10     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-08-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/22/07, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> You know what I'd really like to see? It would be great if the
> organizing committee could invite Rob Pike to give a talk: an update
> to "Systems Software Research Is Irrelevant" (preferably with an
> accompanying article, so we're not left with just the talk slides).

This would be wonderful, not because utah2000 is less true today, but
because it is even more true than seven years ago and the world still has
not learned anything from it.

uriel