* [9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn)
@ 2008-02-25 22:07 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-02-25 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dumping the mptable shows that here is just one PCMPprocessor enty
and nothing else so this is the reason here is no busses found and
mpintrenablex fails.

Plan 9
E820: 00000000 0009fc00 memory
E820: 0009fc00 000a0000 reserved
E820: 000e0000 00100000 reserved
E820: 00100000 3fe60000 memory
E820: 3fe60000 3fee9000 acpi nvs
E820: 3fee9000 3feed000 memory
E820: 3feed000 3feff000 acpi reclaim
E820: 3feff000 3ff00000 memory
mp found 0xfe680
found mp table 0xfe680
pcmp->length=40
pcmp->version=4
pcmp->checksum=81
pcmp->oemtable=0
pcmp->oemlength=0
pcmp->entry=1
pcmp->lapicbase=fee00000
pcmp->xlength=0
pcmp->xchecksum=0
126 holes free
00018000 0009f000 552960
003ef000 10000000 264310784
264863744 bytes free
cpu0: 2999MHz GenuineIntel P4 (cpuid: AX 0x0F62 DX 0xBFEBFBFF)
ELCR: 0E00
LAPIC: fee00000 e0000000
mptable: f00fe6bc-f00fe6d0
0 0 14 3 62 F 0 0 FF FB EB BF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

f00fe6bc processor...
processor p->apicno=0
processor p->version=14
processor p->flags=3
processor p->feature=bfebfbff 0x1
mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1
intrenable: couldn't enable irq 1, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for kbd
ioapicirq: can't find bus type 12
mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1
intrenable: couldn't enable irq 11, tbdf 0xC040000 for ether0

i guess the processor has some hyperthreading feature-flag set,
but if here are no bus entries in the mptable, how is it supposed
to work?

cinap

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn)
@ 2008-02-26  3:34 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-02-26  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if i'm reading the output you've sent correctly, linux is getting
the interrupt mappings from ACPI not the MP table. and your
mp table is broken.  i don't know very much about linux irq
handling or acpi irq tables, but it's likely that your mb manufacturer
didn't think a full mp table was worth his time.

so, i guess this is the menu of options in increasing amount
of effort and accomplishment:

1.  *nomp=1
2.  bios update.
3.  figure out what the mp table should be from the acpi
tables and forge an mp table for archmp's benefit.
4.  teach plan 9 to parse the acpi irq tables.

cheer up!  the acpi documentation is less than two feet
thick.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn)
@ 2008-02-26  5:16   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-02-26  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>  4.  teach plan 9 to parse the acpi irq tables.
>
>  cheer up!  the acpi documentation is less than two feet
>  thick.

Don't worry, I don't think the thickness of the documentation will be
an issue, most mb manufacturers ignore it and simply test that the
junk they build works (ie., boots) with NT's broken ACPI
implementation...

This makes adding ACPI support to your favorite OS most fun, fun, fun.

uriel