* [9fans] building plan9port: arch spec, arm vs armv5tel
@ 2009-07-14  1:43 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-07-14  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Building plan9port on an arm box I get this message several times:

sh: cd: 4: can't cd to armv5tel

At the end of the build the only binary in plan9/bin is mk:

$ file bin/* | grep ELF
bin/mk:        ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.14, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

In src/lib9 I symlinked getcallerpc-arm.c to getcallerpc-armv5tel.c; this made lib9 build but it's not enough to build the executables. How do I specify the architecture to the build system? I guess the setarch command may work, but I'd need to compile it too and I'd ideally like to work without that particular hack.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.

* Re: [9fans] building plan9port: arch spec, arm vs armv5tel
@ 2009-07-14  1:55 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-07-14  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9port-dev; +Cc: eekee57

+plan9port-dev
bcc: 9fans

I have just created a mailing list for these questions.
It is not documented anywhere yet - yours is the first.
I would have called the mailing list plan9port-help
but apparently -help is not a valid mailing list suffix.
plan9port-dev@googlegroups.com

There is also an issue tracker at
http://bitbucket.org/rsc/plan9port/issues.
There may be a nicer URL in a few days.

Russ

@ 2009-07-14 22:12   ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-07-14 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Russ Cox<rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> +plan9port-dev
> bcc: 9fans
>
> I have just created a mailing list for these questions.
> It is not documented anywhere yet - yours is the first.
> I would have called the mailing list plan9port-help
> but apparently -help is not a valid mailing list suffix.
> plan9port-dev@googlegroups.com

Should we put patches here, too?

@ 2009-07-15  0:06     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-07-15  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Should we put patches here, too?

Yes.  I'd like plan9port-dev to have all
the discussion of plan9port development
and problems.

There's a different story for patches that
is still not quite complete, but it's a start.
Look for upload.py in
http://groups.google.com/group/plan9port-dev/t/a1b7f0123e261012

Russ

* Re: [9fans] building plan9port: arch spec, arm vs armv5tel
@ 2009-07-15  1:03       ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-07-15  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Russ Cox<rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> Should we put patches here, too?
>
> Yes.  I'd like plan9port-dev to have all
> the discussion of plan9port development
> and problems.
>
> There's a different story for patches that
> is still not quite complete, but it's a start.
> Look for upload.py in
> http://groups.google.com/group/plan9port-dev/t/a1b7f0123e261012
>
> Russ

Ok, I sent the patch to the mailing list -- I have a lot of local
modifications that shouldn't be published, I don't know if upload.py
would try to send them.

* Re: [9fans] building plan9port: arch spec, arm vs armv5tel
@ 2009-07-15 15:31         ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2009-07-15 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What about using a public hg repo and letting others pick what changes
they are interested in?

uriel