* Re: [9fans] Coding layout query
@ 2002-03-08 13:18 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-03-08 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In my case, it makes the non-automatic scanner 'grep ^fn *.c' work.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2005 bytes --]

From: "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <tb+usenet@becket.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Coding layout query
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:59:46 GMT

andrew@mbmnz.co.nz (Andrew Simmons) writes:

> Not wishing to start a religious debate here, but I notice that in the
> Plan9 source code, the return type of a function is placed on a separate
> line from the function name when the function is defined:
>
> int
> nurdge(int a)

The normal reason for this is that various automatic program scanners
will detect this formatting and know that "nurdge" is a function
definition.

Thomas

* Re: [9fans] Coding layout query
@ 2002-03-08 16:18 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-03-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Andrew Simmons wrote:
> int
> nurdge(int a)
>
> whereas in the header file, the return type is on the same line:
>
> int     nurdge(int)

The contexts are different.  I think both styles improve readability.

However, prototypes should never have been invented.

brucee's cyntax et al were much better ideas.

* Re: [9fans] Coding layout query
@ 2002-03-08  9:59 ` ozan s. yigit
From: ozan s. yigit @ 2002-03-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrew@mbmnz.co.nz (Andrew Simmons):

> Not wishing to start a religious debate here, but I notice that in the
> Plan9 source code, the return type of a function is placed on a separate
> line from the function name when the function is defined:
>
> int
> nurdge(int a)

	[.. etc]

this is a fairly common style on many development groups i've been in.
[checking tilbrook code... yep] many O/S projects use that style as well.
eg. nmh, glib, gtk, gcc etc. it is the layout for gnu coding standard.
[www.gnu.org/prep/standards_23.html#SEC23].

oz
---
xyzzy! nothing happens.

* Re: [9fans] Coding layout query
@ 2002-03-08  9:59 ` Thomas Bushnell, BSG
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG @ 2002-03-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-03-07 22:54 bwc
From: bwc @ 2002-03-07 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

/^nurdge/		-- to find the function in the code

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2090 bytes --]

From: Andrew Simmons <andrew@mbmnz.co.nz>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Coding layout query
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:49:29 +1300

Not wishing to start a religious debate here, but I notice that in the
Plan9 source code, the return type of a function is placed on a separate
line from the function name when the function is defined:

int
nurdge(int a)

or even

static
int
nurdge(int a)

whereas in the header file, the return type is on the same line:

int	nurdge(int)

It's not a style I've seen before, even, if memory serves, in TPOP, and I
was wondering if it was purely a matter of taste, or whether there was some
perceived benefit to be gained from laying the code out in this way - I
find it rather disconcerting at present.

* [9fans] Coding layout query
@ 2002-03-07 22:49 Andrew Simmons
                   ` (2 more replies)