* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-07 22:10 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-07-07 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does anyone have their own hacks to 9wm?  Or know of any?  I'm sort of
> toying with the idea of merging versions and doing a new release.
>
> I have David's pre-1.2-9wm dated August of 1996.  Most other things I've
> seen have been based on 1.1.  I also have w9wm 0.4.0.

w9wm is now up to 0.4.1: http://www.grassouille.org/w9wm/index.en.shtml

There is also larswm, which describes itself as "a hack for 9wm, adding automatic window tiling, virtual desktops and many other features designed to make it a very efficient user environment" - see
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~larsb/larswm/

Keith.

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-07 22:48 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-07 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the 'virtual desktop' business is the one that I'm most interested in
having, though I haven't used any virtual desktops for the past year and a
half (both in rio and in the 9wm that I use)... it's a pain on smaller
screens...

someday I'll hack 4 virtual desktops into Rio just to piss people enough so
that they do it better on their own. no need for buttons and nice 'virtual
console managers' -- take the fvwm approach and switch consoles by
'pressing' the mouse against the end of the screen in the direction of the
console you want ;)

there'll be flashy text indicating which console you've just switched to.
the letters would fade slowly and elegantly.

in fact, there _should_ be a virtual console manager present... maybe even
two -- one at the top, one at the bottom, showing a minimized view of the
screen (see the screenshot at:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/screenshots/scr-plan9.png

we're half way there!)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-08  9:16   ` plan9
From: plan9 @ 2003-07-08  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For virtual desktops, you could just run rios in windows.
That's about as virtual as you can get, I'd have thought.
(Although, make sure you leave a bit of the original backround
visible, so's you can switch between desktops.)

Robby

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-08 14:37       ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-07-08 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| 	Does that also explain why, when going thru the comp.os.plan9
| 	newsgroup, it takes forever and a day for the post to show up?

The usenet->list gateway at bath.ac.uk is moderated.  I assume that's
the source of the delay.

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-08 13:41       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-08 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Anthony Mandic wrote:

> 	Does that also explain why, when going thru the comp.os.plan9
> 	newsgroup, it takes forever and a day for the post to show up?

comp.os.plan9 is also moderated, that takes time. 9fans is always the better
choice, now that the spam has trickled down significantly.

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-08 12:18         ` Anthony Mandic
From: Anthony Mandic @ 2003-07-08 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"boyd, rounin" wrote:

> > Does that also explain why, when going thru the comp.os.plan9
> > newsgroup, it takes forever and a day for the post to show up?
>
> i'm not sure.  i think it's always been a bit weird.  load related?

	I don't think its load but it seems to be working better now.

-am	© 2003

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-08 10:32       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-08 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does that also explain why, when going thru the comp.os.plan9
> newsgroup, it takes forever and a day for the post to show up?

i'm not sure.  i think it's always been a bit weird.  load related?

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-08  9:31     ` Anthony Mandic
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Anthony Mandic @ 2003-07-08  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-07 21:44     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-07 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in the X11 version of sam the right place to put the pipe was in samterm,
'cos it fit well with the event library.  sam (as many of us know) has a legacy
of running a lightweight client in the terminal and the editor ran on the host.

but things changed.

you have to B near where the pipe is, but the interpretation of the pathname
is done by sam, not samterm.

i should know, i submitted the code, which was taken from an X11 cut-buffer
exchange idea, but rob liked the concept.

pride?

http://www.ultimate-lyrics.de/texte/bandalbums/albums_l/livingcolour_timessup.htm#Pride

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-07 18:40   ` Steve Kilbane
From: Steve Kilbane @ 2003-07-07 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Many years ago, I did add a pipe to 9wm, in a similar vein to
sam's, and some simple commands that could be used to control
it. I put together a virtual window manager with it and some
scripts. It was horrible, and thankfully is long gone. :-)

steve

* Re: [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-07 16:14   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-07-07 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-07 16:09   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/ports/9wm-1.2.tar.gz

that's the one I use (sorry for posting the link again -- not sure if you
have seen this already...)

andrey

* [9fans] other versions of 9wm
@ 2003-07-04 20:06 ` Aharon Robbins
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2003-07-04 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does anyone have their own hacks to 9wm?  Or know of any?  I'm sort of
toying with the idea of merging versions and doing a new release.

I have David's pre-1.2-9wm dated August of 1996.  Most other things I've
seen have been based on 1.1.  I also have w9wm 0.4.0.

In a side note, it seems that notes I post from the news system
aren't making it back onto the list.  At least, I don't see them.

Thanks,

Arnold Robbins