* [9fans] REQ Info: Plan9 VMware Session?
@ 2000-10-06 10:12 MoJoJoJo
From: MoJoJoJo @ 2000-10-06 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has anyone gotten Plan9 to run (heck, to even install) under a VMware
session?

VMware is an app that creates virtual machines within NT or Linux, and
you can configure your virtual machines to install quite a few
different OSes.  http://www.vmware.com/

* [9fans] Re: REQ Info: Plan9 VMware Session?
@ 2000-10-06 12:51 ` David Bulkow
From: David Bulkow @ 2000-10-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have managed to do so with release 3 and a patched set of install
scripts.  Graphics is not supported and the ethernet is non-functional.
With rel2 I managed to get graphics working (640x480x1) and was trying to
work out the ethernet issues, but I was never successful.

@ 2000-10-09  9:04   ` MoJoJoJo
From: MoJoJoJo @ 2000-10-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Way cool! Would you happen to have some hints, or even a 'how to'
available?

TIA!

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:51:38 GMT, David Bulkow <dbulkow@sw.stratus.com>
wrote:

>I have managed to do so with release 3 and a patched set of install
>scripts.  Graphics is not supported and the ethernet is non-functional.
>With rel2 I managed to get graphics working (640x480x1) and was trying to
>work out the ethernet issues, but I was never successful.
>
>MoJoJoJo wrote:
>
>> Has anyone gotten Plan9 to run (heck, to even install) under a VMware
>> session?
>>
>> VMware is an app that creates virtual machines within NT or Linux, and
>> you can configure your virtual machines to install quite a few
>> different OSes.  http://www.vmware.com/

* Re: [9fans] REQ Info: Plan9 VMware Session?
@ 2000-10-09  9:04   ` David Bulkow
From: David Bulkow @ 2000-10-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The ethernet is indeed the AMD PCnet-PCI, but VMWare does not support 32-bit
register access.  There is more lurking though, because after I changed the
register commands to 16-bit I was still unable to coax an interrupt from the
device.  After reading back the initialization parameters to verify I was sending
it correctly I was stumped.  Work took over and I haven't been back to the code
:-(

@ 2000-10-06 18:23   ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2000-10-06 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 07:02:08PM +0100, Digby Tarvin said:
> > 	Has anyone gotten Plan9 to run (heck, to even install) under a VMware
> > 	session?
> >
> > I briefly lookde at this when it came up on the mailing list a while ago.
> > VMware presents some 'hardware' in the virtual machine for which we have no
> > drivers, e.g. the ethernet controller and the graphics chip. I believe
> > the ethernet controller is a variant on the AMD controller for which we do
> > have a driver, so that can probably be fixed easily. I've no idea what the
> > graphics controller looks like.
> >
> > If I could be bothered installing NT or Linux on a system here I'd take a
> > closer look.
> >
> > --jim
> >
> I have looked into this also. Unfortunately the virtual machine does not
> seem to emulate any standard graphics controller except in VGA mode,
> and the response I got from VMWare when I enquired was that they
> consider the interface details to be proprietary.
>
> They seem to think that getting reasonable graphics performance
> requires clever tricks that give them an edge over potential
> competitors. I suspect it is not handled as a 'virtual device'
> but rather handles the display by communicating requests to the
> host operating system.
>
> Thus unless you can work with a VGA screen, you are restricted to
> guest operating systems for which VMware have deemed to make
> display drivers available. I have not checked, but that would
> seem to indicate that the Linux driver is provided as binary
> only. Does anyone know if that is really the case?

Yes, they distribute binary-only X server.

	Lucho

* Re: [9fans] REQ Info: Plan9 VMware Session?
@ 2000-10-06 18:02 ` Digby Tarvin
From: Digby Tarvin @ 2000-10-06 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-10-06 17:06 jmk