* [9fans] radeon driver doesn't work: bad VGA control message "type radeon"
@ 2004-03-15 10:44 Thomas Covello
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Covello @ 2004-03-15 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear comp.os.plan9,
When I installed and compiled Phillippe Anel's radeon driver, I get the
following error message:

aux/vga: vgactlw: <type radeon>: bad VGA control message "type radeon"

Please let me know and I will be happy to give you any configuration
details you need.

Sincerely,
Thomas Covello

* Re: [9fans] radeon driver doesn't work: bad VGA control message "type radeon"
@ 2004-03-15 11:35 ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-03-15 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 11:44 15/03/04, you wrote:
>Dear comp.os.plan9,
>When I installed and compiled Phillippe Anel's radeon driver, I get the
>following error message:
>
>aux/vga: vgactlw: <type radeon>: bad VGA control message "type radeon"
>
>Please let me know and I will be happy to give you any configuration
>details you need.

Hi,

It seems you forgot to build/use a new kernel with the radeon driver.
At least, the kernel part didn't find the card. It could be a pciid
problem.

Could you execute aux/vga -v and send me the result ?

         Philippe,

Ps: I have updated the sources of the radeon driver (merged with the LCD
support by Latchesar Ionkov, added the X11 License from the X11 sources
I had to read, removed the pci_ids[] struture from the kernel part), but I
also found a bug with my radeon 8500 I'd like to fix before posting it
to the 9fans list.

http://mapage.noos.fr/philippe.anel/radeon.tar

* Re: [9fans] radeon driver doesn't work: bad VGA control message "type radeon"
@ 2004-03-15 13:24 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-15 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> aux/vga: vgactlw: <type radeon>: bad VGA control message "type radeon"

you've compiled vgaradeon.c in the kernel but haven't compiled
/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/, try doing 'mk install' there.

you can send me (privately) all the steps you followed for compiling
it if the above fails.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] radeon driver doesn't work: bad VGA control message "type radeon"
@ 2004-03-15 14:34   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-15 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

silly me, 'type' is a #v control message, so your kernel doesn't know about
radeons, not aux/vga...

philippe's email is right, i somehow missed it before replying myself
(changed subject line :)

andrey

@ 2004-03-18  9:48 ` Thomas Covello
From: Thomas Covello @ 2004-03-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Monday, March 15th, Phillipe Anel wrote:

> It seems you forgot to build/use a new kernel with the radeon driver.
> At least, the kernel part didn't find the card. It could be a pciid
> problem.

I've mk install'd the whole OS for good measure. (It's pretty fast at
compiling, eh?)

> Could you execute aux/vga -v and send me the result ?

% aux/vga -v
main->snarf
vga->snarf
radeon->snarf
+vgactlw type radeon
sequencer->enter on
sequencer->leave on
vgactlw: <type radeon>: bad VGA control message "type radeon"

> Ps: I have updated the sources of the radeon driver [...], but I
> also found a bug with my radeon 8500 I'd like to fix before posting it
> to the 9fans list.

I'll try installing the update tomorrow.

P.S.: I'm using a 7000 model.

Thanks for your help,
Thomas Covello

---

* Re: [9fans] radeon driver doesn't work: bad VGA control  message "type radeon"
@ 2004-03-18 10:08   ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-03-18 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 10:48 18/03/04, you wrote:
>On Monday, March 15th, Phillipe Anel wrote:
>
> > It seems you forgot to build/use a new kernel with the radeon driver.
> > At least, the kernel part didn't find the card. It could be a pciid
> > problem.
>
>I've mk install'd the whole OS for good measure. (It's pretty fast at
>compiling, eh?)

Ok. Remember to copy you compiled kernel to 9fat, and to update
your plan9.ini if needed.
9load doesn't boot kernels copied in /386 (at least when fossil is
the main filesystem).

> > Could you execute aux/vga -v and send me the result ?
>
>% aux/vga -v
>main->snarf
>vga->snarf
>radeon->snarf
>+vgactlw type radeon
>sequencer->enter on
>sequencer->leave on
>vgactlw: <type radeon>: bad VGA control message "type radeon"

The kernel you boot on doesn't have radeon support compiled in.
Could you send me your kernel configuration file ?

>I'll try installing the update tomorrow.

I still haven't fixed the bug I have with my radeon8500.

         Regards,
         Philippe.

* [9fans] radeon driver doesn't work: bad vga control message "type radeon"
@ 2004-03-15 10:43 TPC
From: TPC @ 2004-03-15 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear comp.os.plan9,
I have installed and compiled Phillippe Anel's radeon drivers. When I
boot, I am greeted with the following message:
aux/vga: vgactlw: <type radeon>: bad vga control message "type radeon"
Please let me know and I will be happy to give you any configuration
details you wish.
Thanks,
Thomas Covello