* [9fans] Real World Usage?
@ 2004-07-27 20:34 Chunky Kibbles
From: Chunky Kibbles @ 2004-07-27 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Heya,

I'm wondering if anyone has any examples of where Plan9 is being used
in the Real World to solve genuine problems [eg a print server, web
server, whatever].

I'm especially curious about print servers as I work at a company where,
among other things, we develop linux & unix drivers for very high end
printers...

Thanks,
Gary (-;

* Re: [9fans] Real World Usage?
@ 2004-07-27 20:46 ` Francisco Ballesteros
From: Francisco Ballesteros @ 2004-07-27 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Print, web, mail, ... servers running here.

Besides, we have X10 devices, mimio electronic whiteboards, touch screens,
card readers, and other devices that are more easily used on Plan 9 than in
other systems.

And it's as real as our daily work, since we use Plan 9 for that.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:34:39 -0400, Chunky Kibbles <chunky@icculus.org> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any examples of where Plan9 is being used
> in the Real World to solve genuine problems [eg a print server, web
> server, whatever].
>
> I'm especially curious about print servers as I work at a company where,
> among other things, we develop linux & unix drivers for very high end
> printers...
>
> Thanks,
> Gary (-;

* Re: [9fans] Real World Usage?
@ 2004-07-29  1:04 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-07-29  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/student1_Plan9.gif
http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/student2_Plan9.gif
http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/student3_Plan9.gif
☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Real World Usage?
@ 2004-07-29  2:11   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-07-29  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/student3_Plan9.gif

Please replace this to
http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/marsv_operation.gif

I forgot what the images I put there, sorry.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Real World Usage?
@ 2004-07-29  3:47     ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-07-29  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I forgot one more thing to notify.

> http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/marsv_operation.gif

If you want to compile marsv, which should be found around that
web page, you may need Release 3 Plan 9.   This is because the
control(2) library was changed after we wrote marsv.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Real World Usage?
@ 2004-07-29  4:03       ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-07-29  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

one more thing to notify, sorry.
>> http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/marsv_operation.gif

They are running Fossil+Venti file server + CF based AUTH server
environment.

Kenji