* Re: [9fans] rpi boot
@ 2015-10-23 22:35 da Tyga
From: da Tyga @ 2015-10-23 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't have the Plan9 uSD card handy, but to the best of my recollection
all Raspberry Pi SD cards have at least two partitions on them.  The ARM
processor remains halted upon reset and the VideoCore loads the image from
the (first?) DOS formatted partition.  Once that image is loaded into RAM,
the ARM processor starts running it.

I'm not even sure that uboot is involved.

You might find some useful information at:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/10489/how-does-raspberry-pi-boot

Whilst the details are for Linux, I assume that Plan9 booting is very
similar.

On 24 October 2015 at 08:25, Adriano Verardo <adriano.verardo@mail.com>
wrote:

> I'm using a rpi with prof Miller Plan9 img.
> A remarkable work.
> I would like to know the details of the rpi boot process.
> i.e. where u-boot is stored, how to generate a micro sd etc.
> After reading some doc, I'm getting a bit confused.
> Could someone kindly indicate a "roadmap" and some good doc ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> adriano

* Re: [9fans] rpi boot
@ 2015-10-24 15:16 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-10-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Oct 23 15:37:55 PDT 2015, cyberfonic@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't have the Plan9 uSD card handy, but to the best of my recollection
> all Raspberry Pi SD cards have at least two partitions on them.  The ARM
> processor remains halted upon reset and the VideoCore loads the image from
> the (first?) DOS formatted partition.  Once that image is loaded into RAM,
> the ARM processor starts running it.
>
> I'm not even sure that uboot is involved.
>
> You might find some useful information at:
> http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/10489/how-does-raspberry-pi-boot

u-boot is not used on the rpi.  the firmware load the kernel directly.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] rpi boot
@ 2015-10-23 23:58 ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2015-10-23 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Oct 24, 2015, at 12:26 PM, da Tyga <cyberfonic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I might be doing something wrong here, I was just responding to Adriano's post - which I thought remained at the bottom of my response.

No it was me doing something wrong and top-posting. Sorry, I occasionally slip into the habit.

* Re: [9fans] rpi boot
@ 2015-10-23 23:26 da Tyga
From: da Tyga @ 2015-10-23 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 24 October 2015 at 10:00, Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m not sure where you’re up to, so apologies if this isn’t helpful, but
> to get the image on to the SD I just did what it says here (I use a Mac):
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/mac.md
>
> This was a while back on OSX Yosemite. I haven’t tried on El Capitan. I
> found getting the standalone image to boot trivially simple.  To add
> networking I just did what it says here:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=24480
>
> -ie copy cmdline-demo-net.txt to cmdline.txt in the boot partition.
>

> > On Oct 24, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Adriano Verardo <adriano.verardo@mail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using a rpi with prof Miller Plan9 img.
> > A remarkable work.
> > I would like to know the details of the rpi boot process.
> > i.e. where u-boot is stored, how to generate a micro sd etc.
> > After reading some doc, I'm getting a bit confused.
> > Could someone kindly indicate a "roadmap" and some good doc ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > adriano

* Re: [9fans] rpi boot
@ 2015-10-23 23:00 ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2015-10-23 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I’m not sure where you’re up to, so apologies if this isn’t helpful, but to get the image on to the SD I just did what it says here (I use a Mac):

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/mac.md

This was a while back on OSX Yosemite. I haven’t tried on El Capitan. I found getting the standalone image to boot trivially simple.  To add networking I just did what it says here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=24480

-ie copy cmdline-demo-net.txt to cmdline.txt in the boot partition.

> On Oct 24, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Adriano Verardo <adriano.verardo@mail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm using a rpi with prof Miller Plan9 img.
> A remarkable work.
> I would like to know the details of the rpi boot process.
> i.e. where u-boot is stored, how to generate a micro sd etc.
> After reading some doc, I'm getting a bit confused.
> Could someone kindly indicate a "roadmap" and some good doc ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> adriano

* [9fans] rpi boot
@ 2015-10-23 21:25 Adriano Verardo