* [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-25 14:49 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2015-06-25 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I love that Weather Underground is still offering a telnet
interface, but I wanted a bit more control over what I get
back. I was also trying to get familiar with the nice JSON
library bedo did[1], so I wrote up a Darksky client. Get an
API key of your own[2] and stick it in $home/lib/darksky,
and you can ask for whatever combination of detail or
summary data for current conditions, minute-by-minute,
hour-by-hour, or day-by-day data you like. It’ll also print
any weather alerts in effect for your location.

The precipitation graph is maybe a little silly (the unicode
block drawing stuff doesn’t provide great granularity).

Source in /n/sources/contrib/anothy/src/cmd/darksky.c;
man in /n/sources/contrib/anothy/lib/man/darksky.1.

[1]	https://bitbucket.org/bedo/9son
[2]	https://developer.forecast.io/register

* Re: [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-25 15:19 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-06-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In case it is of interest I have a json parser in the form of:

	/n/sources/contrib/steve/libjson.tbz

there is also

	/n/sources/contrib/steve/json.cmds.tbz

Which is just jb - a beautifier ☺

Finally, jirafs - which gives filesystem access to a
Jira fault tracking database. It is a useful, but sadly
incomplete (i.e. readonly), and my jira needs have gone
(new job).

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-25 16:02   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-06-25 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In case it is of interest I have a json parser in the form of:

It would be trivial, if not very economical of computing resources, to
knock together any number of JSON applications for Plan 9 using Go's
libraries.  I know I'm restricting to Go any of the little programming
I need to do, JSON definitely fits Go like a glove, in my limited
experience.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-25 18:10     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-06-25 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Go makes it very easy for Plan 9 to deal with the plethora Web "standards"
and API's. Hopefully there will be Go ports for Plan 9/AMD64 and ARM.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 9:02 AM, <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:

> > In case it is of interest I have a json parser in the form of:
>
> It would be trivial, if not very economical of computing resources, to
> knock together any number of JSON applications for Plan 9 using Go's
> libraries.  I know I'm restricting to Go any of the little programming
> I need to do, JSON definitely fits Go like a glove, in my limited
> experience.
>
> Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-26  1:26 ` Justin Bedő
From: Justin Bedő @ 2015-06-26  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Excerpts from Anthony Sorace's message of 2015-06-26 00:49:42 +1000:
> I love that Weather Underground is still offering a telnet
> interface, but I wanted a bit more control over what I get
> back. I was also trying to get familiar with the nice JSON
> library bedo did[1], so I wrote up a Darksky client. Get an
> API key of your own[2] and stick it in $home/lib/darksky,
> and you can ask for whatever combination of detail or
> summary data for current conditions, minute-by-minute,
> hour-by-hour, or day-by-day data you like. It’ll also print
> any weather alerts in effect for your location.
>
> The precipitation graph is maybe a little silly (the unicode
> block drawing stuff doesn’t provide great granularity).
>
> Source in /n/sources/contrib/anothy/src/cmd/darksky.c;
> man in /n/sources/contrib/anothy/lib/man/darksky.1.
>
> [1]    https://bitbucket.org/bedo/9son
> [2]    https://developer.forecast.io/register

I'm very pleased to see my library being of use ☺.  I wrote it for a
flickr 9p server, which has probably bitrotted a bit by now.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-26  2:04   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2015-06-26  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'm very pleased to see my library being of use ☺.  I wrote it for a
> flickr 9p server, which has probably bitrotted a bit by now.

And I’m very happy to have it; thanks! I haven’t tried rebuilding flickrfs recently, but it still gets at my flickr account (just tried it). I had forgotten that it was related. My next target is Twitter.

I saw a blog post that you were working on a dropbox thingie at some point; you ever get anywhere with that?

* Re: [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-26  3:36     ` Justin Bedő
From: Justin Bedő @ 2015-06-26  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Excerpts from Anthony Sorace's message of 2015-06-26 12:04:43 +1000:
> I saw a blog post that you were working on a dropbox thingie at some
> point; you ever get anywhere with that?

Unfortunately not, my colleagues stopped using dropbox so I lost the
motivation to write a client.  Should be relatively straight forward
though, at least for a non-caching implementation.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [9fans] Darksky
@ 2015-06-26  6:10     ` steve
From: steve @ 2015-06-26  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

we do all seem to be working on the same things.

I have a WebDAV client in my contrib, wdfs which relies on libxml. you can use it to access Dropbox and svn repositories an other stuff.

-steve