* [9fans] how to listen to .wav files?
@ 2004-06-19 15:24 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2004-06-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anything under Plan9 allow that yet?

  Brantley

* Re: [9fans] how to listen to .wav files?
@ 2004-06-19 16:18 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Anything under Plan9 allow that yet?

You could port sox (it compiles easily)
and then convert most older wav files
to 44100 pcm and redirect to /dev/audio.

Wav is really just a generic type with lots
of encodings.  Older wav files are usually raw pcm
at some speed, but recently I've seen wav files
of other types like compressed audio.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] how to listen to .wav files?
@ 2004-06-21 11:07   ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-06-21 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As Russ said, .wav is just an extension, it doesn't in any way determine the binary contents

.wav (and .avi) are RIFF files, the header of which will tell you the *real* content type of the file (and I don't even think they *have* to be RIFF files, the first few bytes tag it as a RIFF file, I imagine Microsoft's Windows applications would be able to discern other types of media.

So, if your files are not the required 16 bit little-endian two's complement integer required for /dev/audio then you'll need to change them

In my estimate your best bet for portability would be converting them to mp3 format (and you can choose lossless encoding if that is important to you)  and then you are free to use them on any platform.

My decoder of choice is Nemo's port of MAD

http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/usr/nemo/export/mad.tgz

It even works on the bitsy!

Matt