* [9fans] ndb and ipv6=
@ 2010-03-07 19:57 Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) @ 2010-03-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

While we're talking about ndb ...  what's the status of the ipv6= tag?
Last week I was setting up IPv6 on a network and was adding
ipv6=2001:...  entries in ndb as per the manpages.  I lost the better
part of a day trying to figure out why the AAAA records weren't being
propagated to the DNS slaves.  I finally figured out that ip= now
handles both v4 and v6 syntax, but after reading through the ndb/dns
sources it's not clear to me if ipv6= is still being used by anything.

Is ipv6= truly dead?  If it is I will eradicate it from the code
and manpages and send in a patch.  If it isn't, the manpages still
need an update to make clear what it is -- and isn't -- for.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] ndb and ipv6=
@ 2010-03-07 20:58 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2010-03-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's still undecided how to best cope with a mixed v4 and v6
world.  I don't expect the ipv6 attribute to go away.

* Re: [9fans] ndb and ipv6=
@ 2010-03-07 21:23   ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) @ 2010-03-07 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It's still undecided how to best cope with a mixed v4 and v6
> world.  I don't expect the ipv6 attribute to go away.

I like the new (to me, anyway) ip= behaviour.  parseip() and isv4()
provide everything that's needed at the C level to distinguish the
two.  ndb/dns already does this right thing wrt A vs.  AAAA.  Are you
thinking of it as an analog to proto=il, perhaps?

Back to my original question: what currently uses the ipv6= tag?  We
need to update the man pages at least.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] ndb and ipv6=
@ 2010-03-08  0:13     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-08  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Back to my original question: what currently uses the ipv6= tag?  We
> need to update the man pages at least.

ndb/dnsquery.  ndb/dnsdebug.  it's inconsistent.

- erik