* Re: [9fans] Help with device and clone?
       [not found]   ` <9ab217670812190838h31bb7f2cxb7fed0d6e7e0ba52@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2008-12-19 16:40     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2008-12-19 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Meh, I keep forgetting to hit reply-all or something.

2008/12/19 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
>> That's where I was looking initially -- it looks like that's all only
>> done when you're connecting to a venti, and it seems like it
>> definitely happens after the links run anyway. Links happen after
>> initseg(); that stuff happens in bootinit() in Plan 9 proper -- so
>> that's where I did it in 9vx. I'm tempted to just use '#l' in
>> ip/chandial.c right now until I have a more concrete idea about where
>> binds *should* happen. There are still issues with etherve that I need
>> to hammer out, I think.
>>
>> --dho
>
> sorry.  i haven't really been following along.  i am confused
> by the fact you're having troubles.  if you're doing things in
> the same order as the native kernel, i don't see how you
> could be getting different results.  unless there is some hack
> in 9vx that causes things to happen differently.

There seem to be some differences in how things happen at start-up
time, but they don't seem so severe. That's why I'm asking here :)

> (you're virtual ether0 is working now, right?)

It works if I force chandial to look for it in '#l', and by works, I
mean I haven't been able to test it on a live network yet :(

--dho

@ 2008-12-19 16:43       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-19 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i did get the original.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Help with device and clone?
@ 2008-12-18 19:12         ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2008-12-18 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/12/18 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
>> Thank you... I think I see the issue now. I'm also enjoying:
>>
>> 245                         /* set up the network so we can talk to
>> the venti server */
>> 246                         /* this is such a crock. */
>>
>> Yes, yes it is...
>>
>> --dho
>
> we would all love it if you allowed venti to accept
> a fd instead of a tcp connection.

Maybe I will try to after I understand this a bit better, because it's
still not working, and I'm introduced with a couple of issues that I'm
still not coming around with solutions for -- that set-up is a really
huge hack. I guess I knew it was like that.

It seems to be a chicken-and-egg type problem, which I don't think it
is. I can't really kbind("#I", "/net", MAFTER); at the time that I'm
calling ethermediumbind -- it's too early for that. At the same time,
I can't really move the links and makekprocdev(&ipdevtab); to the area
in init0() where kbind()s happen. Maybe I'm missing something totally
obvious here, but there must be some way for me to call
ethermediumbind() and change its namespace view -- but so far
nothing's happening when I add:

kbind("#Zplan9/", "/", MAFTER);
+kbind("#I", "/net", MAFTER);
+kbind("#l0", "/net", MAFTER);
kbind("#p", "/proc", MREPL);

in init0.

--dho

* Re: [9fans] Help with device and clone?
@ 2008-12-18 18:34       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-18 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-12-18 18:13     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2008-12-18 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-12-18  5:49 Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2008-12-18  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I really am getting to the deep guts of dev.c and chan.c here in
debugging why when ip/ipconfig tries to open /net/ether0/clone, it's
getting Enotfound. From my latest commit:

Fix some stuff with the ether controller attaching. It attaches now, but for
some reason clone screws up. I have no idea why; domount is failing to work
in 9vx/a/chan.c when we are doing the walk over the path which in turn causes
us to try to find the file in rootgen instead of going to the other side of
the mount and looking for it in /ether0/clone. Help?

It's entirely possible (and almost entirely clear) that I'm missing
something obvious, but I'm not sure what it is. The virtual device is
at http://testbed.dh0.us:8000/file/dfc493421329/src/9vx/etherve.c for
the current revision -- feel free to browse around or clone my repo.
I'm going to sleep now, but any help would be appreciated.

--dho