* [9fans] blank line in /lib/ndb/local
@ 2015-11-09 12:29 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2015-11-09 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

manual ndb(6) says: "Each line starting without white space starts a new tuple. Lines starting with # are comments.”

assume we have an entry such as:
dom=foo
	# a blank line follows

	auth=bar

if the blank line contains a white space, then
	ndb/query dom foo auth
will produce
	dom=foo auth=bar
on the other hand, if the blank line is empty, then the command will produce
	dom=foo

Is this a bug or a specification?
I want to believe this is a bug.

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] blank line in /lib/ndb/local
@ 2015-11-10  3:02 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-11-10  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Nov  9 04:32:24 PST 2015, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> manual ndb(6) says: "Each line starting without white space starts a new tuple. Lines starting with # are comments.”
>
> assume we have an entry such as:
> dom=foo
> 	# a blank line follows
>
> 	auth=bar
>
> if the blank line contains a white space, then
> 	ndb/query dom foo auth
> will produce
> 	dom=foo auth=bar
> on the other hand, if the blank line is empty, then the command will produce
> 	dom=foo
>
> Is this a bug or a specification?
> I want to believe this is a bug.

i can't replicate this:

; cat a.db
dom=fu
	# comment

	auth=bar
; ndb/query -f a.db dom fu
dom=fu

- erik

* Re: [9fans] blank line in /lib/ndb/local
@ 2015-11-10  4:01   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2015-11-10  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello,

your blank line doesn’t have a white space.

@ 2015-11-10  4:05     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-11-10  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Nov  9 20:03:06 PST 2015, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:
> hello,
>
> your blank line doesn’t have a white space.
>
> > 2015/11/10 12:02、erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> のメール:
> >
> > On Mon Nov  9 04:32:24 PST 2015, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> manual ndb(6) says: "Each line starting without white space starts a new tuple. Lines starting with # are comments.”

exactly.  that's what the manual says.  an otherwise blank like with only whitespace would
fit the definition of a line starting with whitespace, therefore not starting a new tuple.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] blank line in /lib/ndb/local
@ 2015-11-10  5:07       ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2015-11-10  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes, your right.
the manual says what the code does.
however I don’t think it is a good idea to make sense in white spaces within blank line.
probably the code does not suppose blank lines within ndb entry.

@ 2015-11-10  5:14         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-11-10  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Nov  9 21:10:14 PST 2015, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:
> yes, your right.
> the manual says what the code does.
> however I don’t think it is a good idea to make sense in white spaces within blank line.
> probably the code does not suppose blank lines within ndb entry.

i don't think it's a good idea, either.  however, changing it is not of much value.

fwiw, there is a program ndb/vrfy that comes with a yacc grammar.  i wote it
because with 30 people fiddling with ndb files, there were occasional mistakes
and it was nice to have a way to automaticly email folks with a list of potential
ndb errors.

if this program doesn't already whine about this iffy construct, i'd welcome
a patch!

- erik