* [9fans] ndb and shortening names
@ 2010-03-07 16:38 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I wanted to shorten writing some often used addresses like

penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz

e.g. in a scp command. I want to only have to write penelopa.
So I added

sys = penelopa
       dom=penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz

to /lib/ndb/local

But that doesn't help. What's missing?
Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] ndb and shortening names
@ 2010-03-07 16:44 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-07 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> sys = penelopa
>        dom=penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz
>
> to /lib/ndb/local
>
> But that doesn't help. What's missing?

an ip address.  also the spaces around the '='
mean that ndb will fail to see sys/penelopa
as a key/value pair.

since there is no ip address, dns is used.
and you have to use the long-form address.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ndb and shortening names
@ 2010-03-07 17:07   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-07 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7 March 2010 17:44, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> sys = penelopa
>>        dom=penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz
>>
>> to /lib/ndb/local
>>
>> But that doesn't help. What's missing?
>
> an ip address.  also the spaces around the '='
> mean that ndb will fail to see sys/penelopa
> as a key/value pair.
>
> since there is no ip address, dns is used.
> and you have to use the long-form address.
>
> - erik

Well. The ip address is not specified because it could possibly change.
However, removing the spaces around = helped.

Btw. I saw the spaces in 'The Organization of Networks in Plan9' by
Presotto & Winterbottom, part 4.1. on page 8, see 'sys = helix'. So
there it is probably wrong...

@ 2010-03-07 17:26     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Btw. I saw the spaces in 'The Organization of Networks in Plan9' by
> Presotto & Winterbottom, part 4.1. on page 8, see 'sys = helix'. So
> there it is probably wrong...

it does look to be a typo.  patch submitted.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ndb and shortening names
@ 2010-03-07 17:44       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-03-07 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Btw. I saw the spaces in 'The Organization of Networks in Plan9' by
>> Presotto & Winterbottom, part 4.1. on page 8, see 'sys = helix'. So
>> there it is probably wrong...
>
> it does look to be a typo.  patch submitted.

No, it's a later change.  I remember Presotto commenting on the need
to avoid the space (on just one side of the equal) to avoid needing
quotes.  The details are a bit vague in my memory.

++L

* Re: [9fans] ndb and shortening names
@ 2010-03-07 18:58 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2010-03-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I wanted to shorten writing some often used addresses like
> penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz
> e.g. in a scp command. I want to only have to write penelopa.

If you don't want to wire down ip addresses in ndb:

penelopa = penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz

and use $penelopa in your commands.

* Re: [9fans] ndb and shortening names
@ 2010-03-07 19:46   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-07 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7 March 2010 19:58, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
>> I wanted to shorten writing some often used addresses like
>> penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz
>> e.g. in a scp command. I want to only have to write penelopa.
>
> If you don't want to wire down ip addresses in ndb:
>
> penelopa = penelopa.karlov.mff.cuni.cz
>
> and use $penelopa in your commands.

It finally works without any IP mentioned. Only the surrounding spaces
were the problem, otherwise my entry works as it was written in the
beginning...

@ 2010-03-08  4:19     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-03-08  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It finally works without any IP mentioned. Only the surrounding spaces
> were the problem, otherwise my entry works as it was written in the
> beginning...

For the record, you may find CNAMEs workable too.  Although CNAMES
are restrictive, they are propagated to other OS platforms which is
not the case, at least to the extent that I have tried them, for SYS
entries in NDB.

++L