* Re: /mail/lib/rewrite and net!$smtp
@ 2019-12-07  1:08 Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2019-12-07  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I haven't found much other than a thread dating back to 2013  from fgb,
> which appears related but doesn't seem to have a solution that works
> for me.

Apologies, this was a thread from 2007 though fgb was not the original
poster.

After digging a little more based on one of steve's suggestions in the
thread to run upas/smtp with -d, I think this makes much more sense
now:

% upas/smtp -d 'net!$smtp' stallion foo@bar.com
expanding /net!$smtp
sending /net/dns 'x.x.x.x mx'
dns: dns: name does not exist
mxlookup returns nothing
smtp: cs: can't translate address: dns: name does not exist (net!$smtp)

So it looks like upas will attempt to do an mx lookup for smtp; which
means it's expecting a domain rather than the dial string of an SMTP
server.

After digging into the source a bit, it looks like mkdial in
/sys/src/cmd/upas/smtp/mkdial.c is to blame; it also looks like it's
not possible to specify a port number, which makes sense given that
its relying on an mx lookup.

I suppose in the end the kludge I added was the right solution after
all.  Go figure.

Steve

* /mail/lib/rewrite and net!$smtp
@ 2019-12-07  0:13 Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2019-12-07  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

All,

I was reviewing my mail setup this evening and I came across an old
kludge to forward mail to a relay host on my network in
/mail/lib/rewrite.  I used a host-specific dial string rather than
net!$smtp.  For kicks, I reverted back to the classic behavior to try
and sort out why the lookup fails and I'm hitting a brick wall
(again).

I've try adding smtp= entries to the sys, ipnet, and dom entries in
/lib/ndb/local and nothing seems to be taking.  I'm testing changes by
issuing an ndb/csquery and I'm always getting the same result:

	% ndb/csquery /net/cs 'net!$smtp!smtp'
	translating net!$smtp!smtp: cs: can't translate address: dns: name does not exist

I haven't found much other than a thread dating back to 2013 from fgb,
which appears related but doesn't seem to have a solution that works
for me.

Any ideas?
Steve