* Re: [9fans] 'wrenread failed' in mail
@ 2002-07-12 13:28 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-07-12 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>in any case, you probably should sort it out because
>>you might get growing corruption otherwise.

more helpfully, see the check command in kfscmd(8).

* Re: [9fans] 'wrenread failed' in mail
@ 2002-07-12 15:22 markp
From: markp @ 2002-07-12 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| more helpfully, see the check command in kfscmd(8).

yup, disk/kfscmd 'check rfdt' seems to have cured it. thanks.

cheers,
---mp

* Re: [9fans] 'wrenread failed' in mail
@ 2002-07-12 15:03 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-07-12 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> because of a shut down without sync (eg, by a crash).
> in any case, you probably should sort it out because
> you might get growing corruption otherwise.

Aha!  So if we sync our politicians before their sessions are over....

I like where you're going with this.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] 'wrenread failed' in mail
@ 2002-07-12 12:34 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-07-12 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the kfs file system is complaining that it is getting errors
from the read system call that is reading the device
holding the file system (eg, IDE or SCSI).
it might just be that there's a bad block number somewhere
because of a shut down without sync (eg, by a crash).
in any case, you probably should sort it out because
you might get growing corruption otherwise.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2298 bytes --]

From: <markp@panix.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] 'wrenread failed' in mail
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:49:18 -0400 (EDT)

hi,

on one standalone 4ed system, when I first open a mailbox with
nedmail or acme Mail, and when I open a message, the screen fills
with

wrenread failed:
wrenread failed:
wrenread failed:
wrenread failed:
wrenread failed:
...etc...

I'm guessing that it's related to upas/fs opening messages, that
is, box with lots of messages = lots of lines of errors, box with only
a few messages = only a few errors, empty box = no errors. other than
that, mail *works* fine, but the messages disrupt the screen and make it
nigh impossible to read.

anyone know what's up?

---mp

* [9fans] 'wrenread failed' in mail