* [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
@ 2018-09-06 13:41 Ethan Gardener
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2018-09-06 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there an implementation of APL or a related language for Plan 9?

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

* Re: [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
@ 2018-09-06 14:05 ` Dave Lukes
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Lukes @ 2018-09-06 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I know nothing of any pure APL for p9 or related systems,
but theres A+:
http://www.aplusdev.org/
which is GPLed, so could, theoretically, be ported.

@ 2018-09-06 14:19 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2018-09-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sep 6, 2018, at 6:41 AM, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Is there an implementation of APL or a related language for Plan 9?

http://t3x.org/klong/ Though it is not as nice as k or kona. Rob Pike’s
ivy may compile on plan9, it being implemented in go.

* Re: [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
@ 2018-09-06 14:26 ` Greg Lewin
From: Greg Lewin @ 2018-09-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

and there is J, from the same stable as APL and its natural successor
but using only ascii characters:

http://www.jsoftware.com/  - sources under GPL v3 dual licence

@ 2018-09-06 17:33   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2018-09-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2009-07-10 I announced this in 9fans:

> There's a Plan 9 port of J 3.02 in /n/sources/contrib/miller/j/8.j
>
> 386 executable only, as I don't have permission to share source, but I can
> compile for other $objtypes on request.

I recall the port being very simple to do, so it would probably be
worthwhile to do again now that it's open source.

* Re: [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-09-07  1:39 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2018-09-07  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Lyndon Nerenberg

Ethan Gardener writes:

> Is there an implementation of APL or a related language for Plan 9?

For pure APL, I don't think so.  Long ago I ran the Thompson APL
interpreter on our Ultrix VAX.  It was built from source, but I
forget which tape it came from.  It would have been one of V7 or
4.2BSD, methinks.

I built it in the first place to write code to analyze/report
performance stats on our VAXen vs. the swaths of 3B2 and 3B4000
hardware that AT&T was trying to foist on us at the time :-)

Once or twice I have toyed with the idea of getting it running on
Plan9.  But the C source is very pre-ANSI, and as I recall there are
many embedded assumptions about everything being 32-bits wide, pointers
and ints are interchangeable, *0 == 0, etc.  Still, it would be a
fun project, and I would love to have a native APL to play with again.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
@ 2018-09-07  6:35     ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2018-09-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 19:36, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > There's a Plan 9 port of J 3.02 in /n/sources/contrib/miller/j/8.j
> >
> > 386 executable only, as I don't have permission to share source, but I can
> > compile for other $objtypes on request.
>
> I recall the port being very simple to do, so it would probably be
> worthwhile to do again now that it's open source.

I tried to build and run a recent version of J on OpenBSD, and
it wasn't straightforward for me (but I don't know much...).
Their building system is a mess with many various conditions
to guess the OS, processor, ...
But. There are several parts of the system: jlibrary, jconsole, jqt.
The first two I finally managed to compile on OpenBSD, I failed with
jqt (which is a very nice qt-based environment, btw.) And nobody will
use the latter on Plan9.

I also note that there now exists a GPL'd version of the K language,
Kona. That one was straightforward to build on OpenBSD.

Ruda

* Re: [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
@ 2018-09-07  6:48       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2018-09-07  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 08:35:23 +0200 Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also note that there now exists a GPL'd version of the K language,
> Kona. That one was straightforward to build on OpenBSD.

Kona uses mmap so not so easy to port. If you are used to
normal C style, kona code style will be very hard to grok.

BTW, it carries an ISC license.  [Not copyleft].

* Re: [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
@ 2018-09-07 14:16       ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2018-09-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 1:35 AM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But. There are several parts of the system: jlibrary, jconsole, jqt.
> The first two I finally managed to compile on OpenBSD, I failed with
> jqt (which is a very nice qt-based environment, btw.) And nobody will
> use the latter on Plan9.

I would love to know what you did for OpenBSD.
I am stuck with the linux version on FreeBSD for now.
Do all the test pass on OpenBSD?  Do all the 15!: actually work?
For Plan 9, we can just get rid of libedit and make jconsole a lot simpler.
But I am not sure how to deal with (15!:) and other system dependent (!:) foreign conjunctions.

* Re: [9fans] APL for Plan 9?
@ 2018-09-10  6:48         ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2018-09-10  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 17:53, Xiao-Yong Jin <meta.jxy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to know what you did for OpenBSD.
> I am stuck with the linux version on FreeBSD for now.
> Do all the test pass on OpenBSD?  Do all the 15!: actually work?
> For Plan 9, we can just get rid of libedit and make jconsole a lot simpler.
> But I am not sure how to deal with (15!:) and other system dependent (!:) foreign conjunctions.

Well, I did not test those 15!:'s.
I was just happy to see the jconsole prompt. But then I tried to install the
add-ons and although I achieved a few steps, I finally gave up... :(
I found for myself that there isn't a good separation of system-dependent
and system-independent parts, so that I could figure out what should be done.

Eventually I thought for myself that the best would be to take it apart
completely and then put it back together in a for-me sensible and concise
way... I don't think this would be too difficult, but I only live one life...

Best regards
Ruda

PS.: Sorry for bad news, especially on Monday. :)