* [9fans] CUPS printing
@ 2008-02-03  0:49 Keith Poole
From: Keith Poole @ 2008-02-03  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just
installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up OK.
Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP deskjet printer
attached to an OSX server (so I could connect to it via CUPS or
SAMBA) - is there anyway to get Plan9 to print to it

Thanks

Keith

* Re: [9fans] CUPS printing
@ 2008-02-03  1:05 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-03  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Plan 9 uses neither CUPS nor CIFS (the protocol used by Samba).

1) Find your printer in Parallels. You might need it connected to USB.
2) Read http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Printer_configuration/
index.html
3) Once you have your device ID, set it to LPDEST by adding the line
	LPDEST = <device ID here>
    to the TOP of /usr/$user/lib/profile.
4) Test it out:
	lp /sys/doc/title.ps

On Feb 2, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Keith Poole wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just
> installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up
> OK.  Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP deskjet printer
> attached to an OSX server (so I could connect to it via CUPS or
> SAMBA) - is there anyway to get Plan9 to print to it
>
> Thanks
>
> Keith

* Re: [9fans] CUPS printing
@ 2008-02-03 18:43   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-02-03 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just
> installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up
> OK.  Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP deskjet printer
> attached to an OSX server (so I could connect to it via CUPS or
> SAMBA) - is there anyway to get Plan9 to print to it

forsyth wrote an smb printing client many years ago,
I am pretty sure I have a copy somwhere if its no longer
on the net.

Alternatively I would suggest you enable lpr/lpd printing
on the OSX server which plan9 supports out of the box.

see the lp(8) and /sys/doc/lp.8

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] CUPS printing
@ 2008-02-03 20:14     ` Keith Poole
From: Keith Poole @ 2008-02-03 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It looks like OSX enables lpd printing when you share a printer on
the network - I just added an entry for that IP address and queue
name of the print & it worked!

Thanks for helping

Keith