* [9fans] invisible prompt in win
@ 2008-10-03  6:14 Michael Brown
From: Michael Brown @ 2008-10-03  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

1. Open a "win" in acme.
2. Scroll down as far as possible.
3. Notice that there is no $prompt visible at left.
4. echo annoying
5. Now scroll back up and it turns out you entered the echo command at
a prompt after all!

* Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win
@ 2008-10-03 12:19 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-03 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rtrlists, 9fans

> > 1. Open a "win" in acme.
> > 2. Scroll down as far as possible.
> > 3. Notice that there is no $prompt visible at left.
> > 4. echo annoying
> > 5. Now scroll back up and it turns out you entered the echo command at
> > a prompt after all!
>
> Not entirely sure what other behaviour you were expecting? You
> scrolled all the way down, leading to no text on your pane (it's all
> up above), but your cursor is still where you left it (all the way at
> the end of the text in the pane, all the way at the beginning of your
> pane display).

this is a bug.  you can see what you've typed but not the prompt.
normally acme warps back to the tick when you type.  this bug is
in acme since if you create a new window and type the prompt
manually then continue with step 2, you get the same results.

- erik

[parent not found: <4140ffe20ee64117b535a4311e7dced9@quanstro.net>]
* Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win
@ 2008-10-03 13:28 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rtrlists, 9fans

> > this is a bug.  you can see what you've typed but not the prompt.
> > normally acme warps back to the tick when you type.  this bug is
> > in acme since if you create a new window and type the prompt
> > manually then continue with step 2, you get the same results.
> >

> It's because your cursor is actually showing! So, no need to warp anywhere.
>
> New heuristic needed? Personally, I'd say no. Maybe add it to smacme?

the fact that the tick shows is also a bug.  notice the scroll bar.

- erik

[parent not found: <c0b32b43ea34dbdeab36f74bab861b88@quanstro.net>]
* Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win
@ 2008-10-03 17:50 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-03 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rtrlists, 9fans

> > the fact that the tick shows is also a bug.  notice the scroll bar.
>
> What do you mean? You're showing no characters in the pane, the
> insertion point is after the last character.

yes, but you're not showing the line which includes the prompt.
either the tick and the prompt need displaying or neither do.  this
line is not long enough to wrap.

> Or do you want to have the ability to scroll beyond the end of your
> text, to have some imaginary scroll advance taking you out into the
> blue past the edge of the world?

bingo.

> Or do you want to disallow scrolling to just past the last character?
> How many characters would you say need to remain showing?

how about fixing the bug.  it's perfectly reasonable to have a blank
screen with 0 lines.  (an empty file, for example.)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win
@ 2008-10-05 15:22 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-05 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pietro10, 9fans

> On Oct 5, 2008, at 9:52 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > indicating exactly where to look.  (libframe.)
>
> I don't think so, as libframe doesn't provide a scroll function. Maybe
> (rio sam acme) use a common scroll function? I'll look into it.

i don't think the callback Frame.scroll would exist unless it's job
were to allow libframe to decide when to scroll.  if the application
made the decision by itself, there would be no need for this callback.

- erik