* [9fans] disk is full; can't boot to fix it because disk is full
@ 2004-01-12 15:34 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-01-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Came back after the weekend any my Plan 9 cluster is down.

The front end says this many times:
cacheAllocBlock wrap 609408
cacheAllocBlock: xxx1 disk is full
cacheAllocBlock wrap 609408
cacheAllocBlock wrap 609408
cacheAllocBlock: xxx1 disk is full
.
.
.
.
boot: /386/init: '/386/init' disk is full
panic blah blah blah

ok, the disk is full, can't boot, can't get in to fix it. Any options here
or am I totally screwed?

Are these fossil or Venti errors? I would look but my Plan 9 machine is
.... well, you guessed it.

ron

* Re: [9fans] disk is full; can't boot to fix it because disk is full
@ 2004-01-12 15:55   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-01-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca wrote:

> it's a fossil error...  did you have any snaptimes set up?  that keeps
> the size of the fossil partition under control...

yes I did.

> if you have the latest venti score just boot from a cdrom, start venti
> and reinitialize the fossil with fossil/flfmt -v score /dev/.../fossil.

Don't have the latest venti score.  I'm screwed, right?

I think we add to the list or things to do:
- don't let this happen to users

:-)

@ 2004-01-12 15:55 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2004-01-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Are these fossil or Venti errors? I would look but my Plan 9 machine is
> .... well, you guessed it.

it's a fossil error...  did you have any snaptimes set up?  that keeps
the size of the fossil partition under control...

if you have the latest venti score just boot from a cdrom, start venti
and reinitialize the fossil with fossil/flfmt -v score /dev/.../fossil.

ucalgary doesn't go beyond this size at all:

plan9# uptime
plan9 up 24 days, 15:47:26
plan9# con -l /srv/fscons
main: df
	main: 603,463,680 used + 11,829,919,744 free = 12,433,383,424 (4% used)
main:

* Re: [9fans] disk is full; can't boot to fix it because disk is full
@ 2004-01-12 16:54 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2004-01-12 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

cant you boot from a cd and then use a fossil
to drop some (temporary) snapshots?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2786 bytes --]

From: ron minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] disk is full; can't boot to fix it because disk is full
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:34:12 -0700 (MST)

@ 2004-01-12 19:28     ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2004-01-12 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| Don't have the latest venti score.  I'm screwed, right?

Isn't it stored on disk somewhere?
If not we should copy it to 9fat: periodically, or something.

* Re: [9fans] disk is full; can't boot to fix it because disk is full
@ 2004-01-12 20:16       ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2004-01-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 02:28:58PM -0500, Scott Schwartz wrote:
> | Don't have the latest venti score.  I'm screwed, right?
>
> Isn't it stored on disk somewhere?
> If not we should copy it to 9fat: periodically, or something.

IIRC, yes, it is. Russ posted some utilities a while back that
will grub around in the fossil partition for the most recent
score. search for lastfossil on google groups.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* RE: [9fans] disk is full; can't boot to fix it because disk is full
@ 2004-01-13  6:57         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-01-13  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

reminds me of some f/s vulcan (?) at SRC.  it
filled up once and it created a _file_ of things
NOT to delete.  given there was no space to
create the file, the zero length file got
deletion of everything going in full swing.

you gotta think about this f/s stuff ...