* [9fans] "On a clear disk, you can seek forever"
@ 2013-10-14 22:15 Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2013-10-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do I have my stupid hat on today, or can somebody reproduce this?

It seems as if the fossil partition on the official USB installer
image is full of zeroes?  Also the fscfg partition, though that
bothers me a little less.

term% hget http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download/usbdisk.bz2 > usbdisk.bz2 &
term% ps | grep hget
term% ls -s usbdisk.bz2
1777 usbdisk.bz2
term% bunzip2 < usbdisk.bz2 > usbdisk
term% disk/partfs -d sdYY /tmp/usbdisk
term% cd /dev/sdYY
term% disk/fdisk -p data > ctl
term% disk/prep -p plan9 > ctl
term% lc
9fat	ctl		data	fossil	fscfg	nvram	plan9
term% cmp fossil /dev/zero
EOF on fossil after 1794302464 bytes
term% cmp 9fat /dev/zero
9fat /dev/zero differ: char 1
term% cmp fscfg /dev/zero
EOF on fscfg after 8192 bytes

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] "On a clear disk, you can seek forever"
@ 2013-10-15 20:25 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2013-10-15 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It seems as if the fossil partition on the official USB
> installer image is full of zeroes?

It seems that it was.  Geoff appears to have un-horked the
frammis.  Thanks!

@ 2013-10-15 20:27   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-15 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It seems that it was.  Geoff appears to have un-horked the
> frammis.  Thanks!

three cheers for the unhorkification!

- erik