* [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-19 15:17 Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2013-08-19 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear all,

I just hit the following compilation error and I wonder if this is some
sort of bug in the APE libraries and how to trace down what is really
wrong:

??none??: incompatible type signatures
50220469(/386/lib/ape/libdraw.a(screen)) and
9bbe58(/386/lib/ape/libbsd(bind)) for bind

htonl: incompatible type signatures
617952a3(/386/lib/ape/libbsd.a(bind)) and ac7c45d0
(/386/lib/ape/libbsd.a(ntohs)) for ntohs

Version: I did a pull this morning so everything should be up-to-date.

any hints about how to fix this?

* Re: [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-19 15:30 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-08-19 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just hit the following compilation error and I wonder if this is some
> sort of bug in the APE libraries and how to trace down what is really
> wrong:

I had a similar situation when compiling the entire userland.  I
hacked each as seemed appropriate, but somebody ought to go in there
with a shovel...  Thing is, BSD isn't very consistent either and
sometimes socket_t * is preferable to uint *, whereas sometimes void *
is better than char *.  A shovel, indeed.

>From memory, don't call me a liar :-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-19 16:28   ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2013-08-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:30:52 +0200
lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> > I just hit the following compilation error and I wonder if this is
> > some sort of bug in the APE libraries and how to trace down what is
> > really wrong:
>
> I had a similar situation when compiling the entire userland.  I
> hacked each as seemed appropriate, but somebody ought to go in there
> with a shovel...  Thing is, BSD isn't very consistent either and
> sometimes socket_t * is preferable to uint *, whereas sometimes void *
> is better than char *.  A shovel, indeed.
>
> From memory, don't call me a liar :-)
>
> ++L

Heh.. that does not sound too encouraging...

For both errors, they seem to be blaming bind in libbsd.a so I guess
that is where one would have to look first. I have no idea at all how
to do anything about it though. "normal" compilation issues where the
corresponding code can be traced down are definitely easier ;)

* Re: [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-19 17:04 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-08-19 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Aug 19 11:21:18 EDT 2013, staal1978@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I just hit the following compilation error and I wonder if this is some
> sort of bug in the APE libraries and how to trace down what is really
> wrong:
>
> ??none??: incompatible type signatures
> 50220469(/386/lib/ape/libdraw.a(screen)) and
> 9bbe58(/386/lib/ape/libbsd(bind)) for bind
>
> htonl: incompatible type signatures
> 617952a3(/386/lib/ape/libbsd.a(bind)) and ac7c45d0
> (/386/lib/ape/libbsd.a(ntohs)) for ntohs

this is a bug in the ape libraries.  the ape version of
devdraw should be including /sys/src/ape/lib/9/libc.h
which should

#define bind	_BIND

it looks like 9atom doesn't do this properly.  i'll submit
a 9atom patch, but simply adding it to /sys/src/ape/lib/9/libc.h
doesn't work, so give me a bit.  it's a rats' nest of defines...

the sloppy way to get this done would be to add
-Dbind=_BIND to draw's mkfile.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-20  7:17   ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2013-08-20  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:04:26 -0400
erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> it looks like 9atom doesn't do this properly.  i'll submit
> a 9atom patch, but simply adding it to /sys/src/ape/lib/9/libc.h
> doesn't work, so give me a bit.  it's a rats' nest of defines...
>
> the sloppy way to get this done would be to add
> -Dbind=_BIND to draw's mkfile.
>
> - erik

Will the 9atom patch normally apply cleanly to vanilla Plan9? (I run
vanilla Plan9 under kvm/qemu) - alternatively, is there a way to
"switch repositories" and "update" to 9atom to get the improvements
from within an existing install?

* Re: [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-27  3:32     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-08-27  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Aug 20 03:21:29 EDT 2013, staal1978@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:04:26 -0400
> erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>
> > it looks like 9atom doesn't do this properly.  i'll submit
> > a 9atom patch, but simply adding it to /sys/src/ape/lib/9/libc.h
> > doesn't work, so give me a bit.  it's a rats' nest of defines...
> >
> > the sloppy way to get this done would be to add
> > -Dbind=_BIND to draw's mkfile.
> >
> > - erik
> >

> Will the 9atom patch normally apply cleanly to vanilla Plan9? (I run
> vanilla Plan9 under kvm/qemu) - alternatively, is there a way to
> "switch repositories" and "update" to 9atom to get the improvements
> from within an existing install?

in this case /n/atom/patch/applied/lib9bindconst will apply cleanly to
either.  this should be the normal case.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-27  6:21       ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2013-08-27  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 23:32:00 -0400
erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> On Tue Aug 20 03:21:29 EDT 2013, staal1978@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:04:26 -0400
> > erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> >
> > > it looks like 9atom doesn't do this properly.  i'll submit
> > > a 9atom patch, but simply adding it to /sys/src/ape/lib/9/libc.h
> > > doesn't work, so give me a bit.  it's a rats' nest of defines...
> > >
> > > the sloppy way to get this done would be to add
> > > -Dbind=_BIND to draw's mkfile.
> > >
> > > - erik
> > >

> > Will the 9atom patch normally apply cleanly to vanilla Plan9? (I run
> > vanilla Plan9 under kvm/qemu) - alternatively, is there a way to
> > "switch repositories" and "update" to 9atom to get the improvements
> > from within an existing install?
>
> in this case /n/atom/patch/applied/lib9bindconst will apply cleanly to
> either.  this should be the normal case.
>
> - erik

sorry if I have missed the obvious: how/where do I mount /n/atom ?

(btw: tried to install 9atom under qemu and failed (the plan9 bootloader
would not give the CD as boot option) - is this a known problem? )

* Re: [9fans] libbsd: incompatible type signatures
@ 2013-08-27 12:29         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-08-27 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (btw: tried to install 9atom under qemu and failed (the plan9 bootloader
> would not give the CD as boot option) - is this a known problem? )

iirc, install from cd is the only option now.  just ignore the install
window and open a new one.

it's also a known problem that i have not spent enough time with
various virtualization technologies.

- erik