* [9fans] plan9port upas
@ 2006-02-06 20:20 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2006-02-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been playing around with the plan9port version of upas, which seems to have some major holes in it.  Anyone gotten this to work?  For reference, I'm working on a MacOSX system.

Building smtpd required building libndb with csgetval.c, which is commented out in the mkfile, and required a minor edit, changing #include <ndbhf.h> to #include "ndbhf.h".  I had to link it by hand with /usr/lib/libresolv.9.dylib to resolve the symbols _res_9_dn_expand and _res_9_search.  Also, I changed main() to threadmain() in smtpd.c, so that it would link properly with libthread.a.

So, though smtpd will execute, it always dies with the message:
/usr/local/plan9/bin/upas/smtpd: can't get remote system's address

I tracked it down to the function getnetconninfo in lib9/getnetconn.c, but can't figure out why this should not be working.

Any ideas?

Also, most of the upas programs seem to be confused as to if they'd like to store things in /mail/* or $PLAN9/mail/*.

-Ben

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2979 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] plan9port upas
@ 2006-02-06 20:28 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I've been playing around with the plan9port version of upas, which
> seems to have some major holes in it.  Anyone gotten this to work?
> For reference, I'm working on a MacOSX system.

upas is buggered, i.e. not built by default.
see /usr/local/plan9/src/cmd/mkfile.

it is very much a work in progress.  john cummings and
erik quanstrom did the initial work, and erik
has continued to push on it.  i plan to push on it
some in the next few weeks.

some of the code assumes that threaded programs
can use fork and exec, which is not true.
none of us have tested on the mac yet.
once the programs are fully converted,
it shouldn't be a problem, but it's not ready
for prime time yet.

russ

* Re: [9fans] plan9port upas
@ 2006-02-07  4:17 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-07  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: BHuntsman@mail2.cu-portland.edu
> ===> 2/ (application/ms-tnef) []
> 	cp /mail/fs/mbox/1909/2/body /usr/lucio/winmail.dat

No wonder you want a better user agent :-)

++L