* [9fans] swap swap?
@ 2003-04-22  0:54 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-22  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

how does plan9 turn on swap? i was just playing with some memory-intensive
stuff when it crashed with 'swap not configured' printed on the console.

i ran 'swap /dev/sdC0/swap' immediately and that solved my problem, but how
do i make it permanent? just put it in /rc/bin/cpurc?

andrey

* Re: [9fans] swap swap?
@ 2003-04-22  2:14 ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-04-22  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>i ran 'swap /dev/sdC0/swap' immediately and that solved my problem, but how
>do i make it permanent? just put it in /rc/bin/cpurc?

Yep

* Re: [9fans] swap swap?
@ 2003-04-22  7:27 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-04-22  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have this in /rc/bin/cpurc

if (test -e /dev/sdC0/swap)
	swap /dev/sdC0/swap

But beware, I've seen complaints about `not enough memory' in those
weird circumstances when swap was used a lot in our system. It's much
better to add more memory.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1877 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] swap swap?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:54:07 -0600 (MDT)

@ 2003-04-22  7:36   ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-04-22  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A further word of caution: make sure your cpurc binds #S into /dev
before using names like /dev/sdC0.

* Re: [9fans] swap swap?
@ 2003-04-22 14:38     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> A further word of caution: make sure your cpurc binds #S into /dev
> before using names like /dev/sdC0.

I added this to /lib/namespace a few weeks ago after we got
burned one too many times here, but I forgot to push it out.
It's out now.

Russ