* [9fans] Connecting Non Plan 9 computers to the Internet via a Plan 9 gateway.
@ 2004-11-28  6:42 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-11-28  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am interested in connecting my daughter's iMac to the Internet via a
Plan 9 gateway. I imagine that i don't need a firewall for security. I
can simply run a firewall program on the iMac for security. However, I
still need the ablility to connect to the Internet. How can I use a
Plan 9 gateway as a "proxy server" or to perform "network address
translation" services?

I imagine that this has been done before, no? Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

-vester

* [9fans] Re: Connecting Non Plan 9 computers to the Internet via a Plan 9 gateway.
@ 2004-11-28 11:24 ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-11-28 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:42:58 +0900, Vester Thacker
<vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:

> I imagine that this has been done before, no? Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I should given the question more thought before posting. *sigh*

V9FS!

-vester

* Re: [9fans] Re: Connecting Non Plan 9 computers to the Internet via a Plan 9 gateway.
@ 2004-11-28 13:38   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2004-11-28 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vester Thacker, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Vester Thacker wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:42:58 +0900, Vester Thacker
> <vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I imagine that this has been done before, no? Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.
>

> Sorry, I should given the question more thought before posting. *sigh*
>
> V9FS!
>
> -vester

One thing I'd like to do (and plan to do with Plan 9) is work on packet
filters and NAT functionality in Plan 9. I know that NAT is somewhat
obsoleted by the ability to share /net, but this will only work on
systems that will support V9FS (i.e. not Windows), which might be a
problem for general users. I think a lot of the things that aren't
available in Plan 9 for other systems comes from a general lack of
interest, which I believe comes from the fact that they're not
implemented. It ends up being a sort of paradox.

``If you build it, the people will come.''

Whether or not it's useful for everybody, it may be useful for some :).
Anyway, yeah, V9FS will probably do what you're thinking :)

--Devon

* Re: [9fans] Connecting Non Plan 9 computers to the Internet via a Plan
@ 2004-11-29  7:19 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-11-29  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vester.thacker, 9fans

> I am interested in connecting my daughter's iMac

By the way, your daughter uses unix?
I've been thinking Unix and girls are living in quite different world.
Both worlds are not compatible completely.☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Connecting Non Plan 9 computers to the Internet via a Plan
@ 2004-11-29 18:21   ` Roman Shaposhnick
From: Roman Shaposhnick @ 2004-11-29 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 04:19:50PM +0900, Kenji Okamoto wrote:
> > I am interested in connecting my daughter's iMac
>
> By the way, your daughter uses unix?
> I've been thinking Unix and girls are living in quite different world.
> Both worlds are not compatible completely.???

  I've always suspected that Mac OS X is "the UNIX for [teenage] girls".

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Connecting Non Plan 9 computers to the Internet via a Plan
@ 2004-11-29 20:02     ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2004-11-29 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:21:15 -0800, Roman Shaposhnick <rvs@sun.com> wrote:
>   I've always suspected that Mac OS X is "the UNIX for [teenage] girls".

CHIX.

Soon to be trademarked. :)

* Re: [9fans] Connecting Non Plan 9 computers to the Internet via a Plan
@ 2004-12-07  5:15       ` Andy Newman
From: Andy Newman @ 2004-12-07  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Johnson, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/lg-chicks-dig.jpg