From: Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com>
To: Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com>,
	Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:35:20 -0700	[thread overview]

On 5/19/05, Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it is a weekday, then 2000 to 2100 UTC (0500-0600 JST) or a time
> between 1200 to 1500 UTC (2100-midnight JST) are decent times for
> us in Japan.

I'm just doing the mental estimation, and I think I'm usually just
rolling into work when my friend in Bergen is thinking about bed.

I think you're right, 1300 UTC would probably cover a pretty decent
chunk of the Plan 9 users on the planet.  Though, I'm surprised that
to see so much organization around an IRC meeting.  Usually the power
of IRC is that the meeting never really ends and you just keep handing
off the topic when the terminator hits your timezone.  A good log and
you can grep the minutes for the areas of interest and always follow
up offline or by watching the time that the other attendees of
interest are on.

Plus, being partial to the Pacific Rim I'm philosophically opposed to
any scenario that reinforces the idea that New York is the center of
the universe, Yankees be damned.  Go Ichiro. :)

Plus, looks like we have building interest from India, so I'd rather
promote that if possible.  I mean, it's not like the heavy hitters in
the western hemisphere are going to drop their support just because
the main meeting time doesn't fit their timezone.

-Jack

P.S.

It seems like the OSAF does a nice blend of formal and informal with
their IRC meetings, e.g.
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/design/2003-June/002562.html