* [9fans] ndb(8) documentation
@ 2005-07-18 11:08 lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-07-18 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found:

          Delegation of a further subtree to another set of name
          servers is indicated by an soa=delegated attribute.

          dom=bignose.cs.research.bell-labs.com
               soa=delegated
               ns=anna.cs.research.bell-labs.com
               ns=dj.cs.research.bell-labs.com

          Nameservers within the delegated domain (as in this example)
          must have their IP addresses listed elsewhere in ndb files.

which looks mistaken: neither anna nor dj are "within the delegated
domain".  I'm not getting the expected results from a delegation of my
own, which need not be an ndb(8) problem at all, but the exact meaning
of the above may help me solve my problem.

++L

* Re: [9fans] ndb(8) documentation
@ 2005-07-18 18:30 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-07-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/18/05, lucio@proxima.alt.za <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
> I found:
>
>           Delegation of a further subtree to another set of name
>           servers is indicated by an soa=delegated attribute.

Cool.

> which looks mistaken: neither anna nor dj are "within the delegated
> domain".

Which may be due to the lack of that requirement by DNS in general.
There's no steadfast rule that says your nameservers need to be
located within your DNS domain, thus the myriad DNS hosting services.
 You can delegate to anyone, it's just most common to see
ns1.my.domain.

Not sure why delgation isn't working for you, though.

-Jack