* [9fans] Plan9 not in the network (e.g. HW-development or something else)
@ 2006-06-27 15:00 Oliver Bandel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2006-06-27 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

does it make sense to have Plan9 as a stand alone system without
a plan9-environment?
Using it for my day-to-day tasks instead of for example
OS-X or Linux?

One possible task of interest could be programming for microcontrollers,
so I would need programmers hardware (for flash/eproms and such stuff)
and having access to microcontroller boards.

Are there people around who
 a) use Plan9 not only together with a net of other Plan9-systems
    ("stand alone" or together with other systems (different platforms),
     are the standard protocols all implemented?)

 b) have done development/programming of microcontrollers on Plan9

TIA,
   Oliver

P.S.: I may get a used IBM notebooks, so I can afford this.
      And then I could use Plan9 if it brings me advantages.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 not in the network (e.g. HW-development or something else)
@ 2006-06-27 15:57 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-06-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  a) use Plan9 not only together with a net of other Plan9-systems
>     ("stand alone" or together with other systems (different platforms),
>      are the standard protocols all implemented?)

I use plan9 at work, and almost entirely Win32 shop.

I use rx and ssh to hop onto windows and linux boxes,
the cifs and nfs clients allow me to use those protocols to get at
their filesystems, and upas/fs gets me my email via imap.

I use abaco(1) quite a bit to browse the web though I can vnc(1)
onto a XP when I need javascript for internet banking.

>  b) have done development/programming of microcontrollers on Plan9

I do write embedded code but I use gcc and friends for this to remain
compatible with my collegues :-)

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 not in the network (e.g. HW-development or something else)
@ 2006-06-27 16:03 ` Iruatã Souza (muzgo)
From: Iruatã Souza (muzgo) @ 2006-06-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2006/6/27, Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>:
> Hello,
>
> does it make sense to have Plan9 as a stand alone system without
> a plan9-environment?
I use it on my laptop as a standalone system while at work.

> Using it for my day-to-day tasks instead of for example
> OS-X or Linux?
depends on what you mean by day-to-day.
at work, almost everything I do is done remotely on UNIX servers; so,
I have no problems with plan 9.

> One possible task of interest could be programming for microcontrollers,
> so I would need programmers hardware (for flash/eproms and such stuff)
> and having access to microcontroller boards.
>
> Are there people around who
>  a) use Plan9 not only together with a net of other Plan9-systems
>     ("stand alone" or together with other systems (different platforms),
>      are the standard protocols all implemented?)
at home I have an environment with: plan 9 (386), openbsd (386),
solaris (386), hp-ux (pa-risc) and openvms (alpha).
besides openvms (gotta check that later) plan 9 can talk with all
these systems pretty well.
I personally make extensive use of ssh, ftp, http(s) and irc.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 not in the network (e.g. HW-development or something else)
@ 2006-06-27 20:52 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-06-27 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/27/06, Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> Using it for my day-to-day tasks instead of for example
> OS-X or Linux?

I've used it as my only OS at home off-and-on several times, and find
myself getting driven to some other platform for the worst of reasons
-- needing a Citrix client, wanting or needing to access too many
documents in proprietary formats, wanting a different Web browser,
etc.

But, I seem to have that problem with nearly every OS.  Russ'
plan9ports is very nice, but I have a soft spot for the real thing,
and there are aspects I miss daily.  I suspect my next scenario will
be Plan 9 on QEMU fullscreen with VNC sessions to the host OS (or an
alternate guest OS) for the odd bits and pieces I want/need.

-Jack