From: rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] wireless support
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:16:42 -0400	[thread overview]

> I took him to mean a pccard with an appropriate bridge on a
> full-size PCI card.  Cards like that are sometimes sold with
> wireless cards for desktop PCs or separately with a pair of
> slots that can be mounted in a 5 1/4" drive bay.  In those
> cases, it is a question of what chipset is being used for the
> cardbus controller on the pci card.

so did i.  but since pccard controllers in laptops are just
pci devices too, my point was that perhaps the big plug-in
pci cards looked, at a driver level, no different than the
pci controllers on laptops.  that is, perhaps devpccard
would just work.  i know, i know, i shouldn't be hoping
for sanity in the world of pc hardware.

unfortunately, it turns out that this particular one is a
plx pci9052, which is proprietary and likely doesn't just work
with devpccard.  (pb says the linux guys are all complaining
that they can't get it to work.)

russ