* [9fans] windows drawterm / rio current window
@ 2004-08-04 21:43 boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-08-04 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

after running:

    page -w

and quitting it there is no default current window.

should it not default to the window that's highest
in the z order [the most visible]?

in my case it makes sense, but does that cover all the cases?

damn, it degenerates if your windows are tiled [mine usually aren't].

hmm, i can see a lotta code and madness could be required. i
guess it all depends if rio 'lists' them in a z order.  if it does, i'd
go for the 'highest' 'cos if it's right it's right an if it's wrong it's
wrong.

but, i'm not keen on unpredictable semantics.

i guess this is not a big problem, but you see interesting things
at low bandwidths an long RTTs [cross atlantic].

yeah, an' thanks to ol' dan [cross] for an a/c on his net.

* Re: [9fans] windows drawterm / rio current window
@ 2004-08-09 12:47 ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-08-09 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> after running:
>
>     page -w
>
> and quitting it there is no default current window.
>
> should it not default to the window that's highest
> in the z order [the most visible]?

i made rio do this in some version or other.

i liked the idea, but unfortunately my naive approach caused it to
crash occasionally (i probably broke some invariant or other)..

it's probably just a matter of finding the right process to do it, or
the right structure to lock (you don't have to much around with the
data structures much).

> damn, it degenerates if your windows are tiled [mine usually aren't].

this isn't too bad as the highest window in the z-order is usually
also the window you've touched most recently, and that fits quite well
with subconscious expectations.