* [9fans] getting mail working
@ 2003-09-10  0:13 Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-09-10  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I followed the directions on the wiki:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Mail_configuration/index.html

I noted that it tells you to edit the smtp.conf file, but it doesn't
mention doing anything to actually start smtp or make it start
automatically on boot.

Setting aside for a moment sending mail to the internet, I can't even
send mail to another user on the same machine.  For example, if as
bootes I try to send email to user rgr, this is what I get:

192.168.1.18# mail rgr
lasdjkasdfdjalk
<escape key followed by control-d>
Mail  from 'bootes'
to 'rgr'
failed with error 'Invalid address'.

save in /mail/box/bootes/dead.letter
102.168.1.18#

I hoped that something explanatory would appear in the log files, but
/sys/log/smtp and /sys/log/smtp.fail are both empty, and /sys/log/auth
has nothing new in it.

I read the man pages for mail, rewrite, and smtp.

Any suggestions ?

--Rob