* [9fans] gave up on devfs
@ 2003-07-17  5:52 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-17  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Finally gave up on devfs -- will think of another way of making sure my
file server survives a disk crash (I'm open to suggestions).

I booted a kernel that doesn't use devfs and the problem with deleting
files went away.

Unfortunately not before it caused some general mayhem and corruption:

    plan9% pwd
    /usr/andrey/font/efont
    plan9% f | wc -l
        851
    plan9% ls
    b12_bi
    b16
    b24_b
    plan9% cd b16
    plan9% ls
    b16.81F7-8202
    plan9% rm *
    rm: b16.81F7-8202: 'b16.81F7-8202' corrupted file entry
    plan9%

I can't delete those, tried even 'remove' on the fossil console. can't copy
anything over them ('file already exists') either.

I don't think I've had a file system screwed that badly since I removed
/usr on a FreeBSD system when I was a toddler. Good thing is, all those
terrible crashes didn't corrupt any other data and the machine still stands
(sans devfs :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] gave up on devfs
@ 2003-07-17  6:03 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-17  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> I booted a kernel that doesn't use devfs and the problem with deleting
> files went away.

I lied, it's still there.

Sorry to waste your time so optimistically.

* Re: [9fans] gave up on devfs
@ 2003-07-17  7:44 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-07-17  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This sounds weird for me. I'll try to reproduce your devfs+9fat
problem here and see if I can fix it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3000 bytes --]