* Re: [9fans] install  "out of physical memory"
@ 2006-09-17 19:23 Chuck Foreman
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-17 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

oops in that flashback I meant megs not K

Hallo,

Vintage 1997....
The max...2x64 + on board 16.....=  144MB
Can't it swap?

       [not found]                   ` <7155ede00609172034w1d7ee768paff34c7577d6178a@mail.gmail.co m>
@ 2006-09-18 18:28                     ` Chuck Foreman
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-18 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I'm going to try this swap enabler thing! Can somebody tell me where
the "swap" program is
and the correct syntax. I suspect I either have to add it to the
floppy or put it in a mountable/
executable place as proposed by Burton.
Once booted from the floppy ...could I remove the floppy and mount
the CD.-ROM in its place?
I'll also be playing with the installer to see if I can't trick the
graphics to work...

Any other tips ie  memory probing code ... etc would be helpful.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

Feeling a bit frustrated...

@ 2006-09-18  3:34                 ` Burton Samograd
       [not found]                   ` <7155ede00609172034w1d7ee768paff34c7577d6178a@mail.gmail.co m>
From: Burton Samograd @ 2006-09-18  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-09-18  1:20                         ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-18  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, the general case is `cd /sys/src; mk all', but building gs cuts
directly to the pain and suffering.

* Re: [9fans] install "out of physical memory"
@ 2006-09-17 23:32                       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-17 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

isn't it a bit tenuous bolstering your argument with ghostscript? :-)

- erik

       [not found]             ` <ee9e417a0609171333t228a677eh39d1db121c39ab21@mail.gmail.co m>
@ 2006-09-17 22:35               ` Chuck Foreman
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-17 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ,

I found the plan9.ini on the floppy and added the kernelpercent=20...
it got up to 25% before
giving up!

I found a reference in the archives where another user speculated
about this error!
What do you think of the workaround?

........from archives 2005 July......
The major installation problem was that the system was constantly
running out of physical memory during the distmount phase. After a
bunch of hunting and exploration, it looked like the kernel was only
reporting about 3k free pages of free physical memory, with about 16k
pages of swap (approx numbers).

I managed to get the plan9 partion 'preped' with a swap, so after
copying the swap utility from the plan9 boot image (9pccd.gz) to a
shared ext2 partition i was able to use it from the plan9 install image
(9pcflop.gz) and fire up the swap file so I could successfully perform
the install.

Everything went smoothly with the install after that and I'm now
booting plan9 from the harddrive using grub. :)

After this experience, I have a feeling that either there's a bug in my
comp's mainboard which causes problems with the physical memory
calculation or (since I don't know much about the kernel yet) it has a
hardcoded max somewhere that is limiting my available memory. Any
comments on this problem or suggestions on how to fix it?

And finally, I would suggest to the iso maintainers that they put the
swap utility in the 9pcflop.gz image and some instructions in the
installation/installer to enable the swap file when it's created so
others don't have this kind of problem.

@ 2006-09-17 21:23                   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-17 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

320MB should be ample unless you are running venti or fossil
on that machine and allocate lots of memory to caches.
Plan 9 generally consumes much less memory than other systems.

* Re: [9fans] install "out of physical memory"
@ 2006-09-17 21:20                     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-09-17 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-09-17 21:18                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-17 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-09-17 21:10                 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-09-17 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-09-17 21:03                 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-17 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/17/06, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> It's not automatic; you need to add something like
>
>         swap /dev/sdC0/swap
>
> to cpurc or cpurc.local.  Others feel that there are serious bugs in
> the swapping (paging) code but I've had good luck with it.
>
> If you expect to swap regularly, you should keep any local file
> systems on different disks from your swap space, or performance will
> suffer badly when you swap.  It's also possible to swap to a file
> server (e.g., `swap /n/other/swap') but you'll want to use switched
> Ethernet if you do that.  If it's possible, it's almost certainly a
> better idea to add more RAM to your machine.

I already have a good deal of RAM (320 MB or so) in my machine, but if
I put much load on it I'm a bit concerned about running out. Thought
I'd ask.

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] install "out of physical memory"
@ 2006-09-17 21:01               ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-17 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-09-17 20:40             ` John Floren
       [not found]             ` <ee9e417a0609171333t228a677eh39d1db121c39ab21@mail.gmail.co m>
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/17/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > my boot looks like this...
> > 24M memory: 11M kernel data, 12M user, 77M swap
> > kfs....version....time
>
> This is the problem -- the kernel only detected 24M of memory.
> Not sure why.
>
> Russ

On a similar note, does the kernel automatically detect and use swap
space upon boot? I just went back and resized my fossil partition to
add swap (in case I managed to fill my memory somehow); do I need to
have a line in cpurc to turn on swap for that partition, or is it
automagic?
Thanks

John F.
--

@ 2006-09-17 20:33           ` Russ Cox
       [not found]             ` <ee9e417a0609171333t228a677eh39d1db121c39ab21@mail.gmail.co m>
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-09-17 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found]       ` <ee9e417a0609171222v1163c0d5k49987948781fc714@mail.gmail.co m>
@ 2006-09-17 20:05         ` Chuck Foreman
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-17 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ,

Thanks for replying. Indeed it's 144 meg.. or 128
if the onboard is not recognized.
My floppy image doesn't appear to have a plan9.ini file... "none found"
That's the last message before the °use dma..."

my boot looks like this...
24M memory: 11M kernel data, 12M user, 77M swap
kfs....version....time

init starting /bin/rc
/bin/dos/srv: serving #s/dos
rc (boota:) : null list in concatenation
rc (boota:) : null list in concatenation
cp: can't sta /n/a:/plan9.ini: 'n/a/plan9.ini doesn't exist'

I am in the textonly install and the problem occurs at the end as I try to
locate and mount the distribution archive.. shortly after 16%
" out of physical memory ...no swap configured...
Can I configure swap prior to this ...?

@ 2006-09-17 19:22     ` Russ Cox
       [not found]       ` <ee9e417a0609171222v1163c0d5k49987948781fc714@mail.gmail.co m>
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-09-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-09-17 19:13   ` Chuck Foreman
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hallo,

Vintage 1997....
The max...2x64 + on board 16.....=  144K
Can't it swap?

@ 2006-09-17 18:31 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-17 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-09-17 14:06 chuckf
From: chuckf @ 2006-09-17 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: kruhft

Hallo,
 I read this in the archives regarding the Compaq. I"m having the same
problem with physical memory. I don"t quite understand how you overcame it.

Can you explain in more detail? Do i copy another program to the floppy..like
"9pccd.gz" Does it contain a different swap routine?  Do I need a utility program?
I tried "swapon" and named a linuxswap portion... didn't help.

........from archives 2005 July......
The major installation problem was that the system was constantly
running out of physical memory during the distmount phase. After a
bunch of hunting and exploration, it looked like the kernel was only
reporting about 3k free pages of free physical memory, with about 16k
pages of swap (approx numbers).

I managed to get the plan9 partion 'preped' with a swap, so after
copying the swap utility from the plan9 boot image (9pccd.gz) to a
shared ext2 partition i was able to use it from the plan9 install image
(9pcflop.gz) and fire up the swap file so I could sucessfully perform