* [9fans] Style guide for clean code
@ 2006-10-11  7:46 Kyrre Nygård
From: Kyrre Nygård @ 2006-10-11  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hello again all!

	Does Plan9 offer a style guide similar to the kernel normal form
found in the BSD operating systems;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_Normal_Form? Since Plan9 people
dislike GNU and BSD because their code is bloated, and like
themselves because their code isn't, I was wondering if they had a
structured approach to their simplicity.

	Also, maybe a few paragraphs on the disadvantages of bloated code
similar to http://www.wmii.de?

Thanks a lot,
Kyrre

* Re: [9fans] Style guide for clean code
@ 2006-10-11  7:53 ` William K. Josephson
From: William K. Josephson @ 2006-10-11  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:46:28AM +0200, Kyrre Nyg?rd wrote:
> 	Does Plan9 offer a style guide similar to the kernel normal form
> found in the BSD operating systems;
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_Normal_Form? Since Plan9 people
> dislike GNU and BSD because their code is bloated, and like
> themselves because their code isn't, I was wondering if they had a
> structured approach to their simplicity.

Not really, although you might have a look at:

	http://swtch.com/~rsc/worknotes

I'll second the recommendation of The Practice of Programming.

Also:
	http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/pikestyle.html

> 	Also, maybe a few paragraphs on the disadvantages of bloated code
> similar to http://www.wmii.de?

Isn't that rather self-evident?

 -WJ

* Re: [9fans] Style guide for clean code
@ 2006-10-11  7:56 ` Gabriel Diaz
       [not found]   ` <82c890d00610110056q25ac37f1h9158b13d014d597a@mail.gmail.co m>
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-10-11  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

you can search the 9fans archives for a lot of discussion about this, also
take a look at

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/How_to_contribute/index.html
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/papers/.

I would suggest to use /sys/src as a guide. If your code looks like the one
is there, probably fits the plan9 style :).

gabi

@ 2006-10-11  9:53     ` Kyrre Nygård
From: Kyrre Nygård @ 2006-10-11  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs,
	Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs
  Cc: William K. Josephson

Thanks a lot guys, this really helped :)