* [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace
@ 2008-10-15 12:25 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-10-15 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am trying to work with files containing whitespace,
many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B
don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing).

I can fix the buglet in B (some string flattening) but
a cursory look at the sam source and it seems to support
delimiters in commands (e.g. B "file with spaces in it.txt").

however I cannot open files with whitespace in their names
even if it type them in in the sam command windows.

am I missing somthing or is this a real bug?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace
@ 2008-10-22 12:53 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-10-22 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/10/15 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to work with files containing whitespace,
> many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B
> don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing).
>
> I can fix the buglet in B (some string flattening) but
> a cursory look at the sam source and it seems to support
> delimiters in commands (e.g. B "file with spaces in it.txt").
>
> however I cannot open files with whitespace in their names
> even if it type them in in the sam command windows.
>
> am I missing somthing or is this a real bug?
>
> -Steve

So does anybody know? I don't. :(
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace
@ 2008-10-22 12:55 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-10-22 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/10/15 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to work with files containing whitespace,
> many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B
> don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing).
>
> I can fix the buglet in B (some string flattening) but
> a cursory look at the sam source and it seems to support
> delimiters in commands (e.g. B "file with spaces in it.txt").
>
> however I cannot open files with whitespace in their names
> even if it type them in in the sam command windows.
>
> am I missing somthing or is this a real bug?
>
> -Steve

So does anybody know? I don't. :(
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace
@ 2008-10-22 15:09   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2008-10-22 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sam cannot handle file names with spaces.  There is one way to
work around this that I can think of without renaming the file.  Make
a new buffer with nothing in it.  ("B " without the quotes is how you
do that.)  Then

<cat 'a b'
edit
,>cat > 'a b'

Clunky but so be it. Sam comes from a system where spaces in
file names made no sense.

-rob

@ 2008-10-22 15:29     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2008-10-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
> <cat 'a b'
> edit
> ,>cat > 'a b'
>
> Clunky but so be it. Sam comes from a system where spaces in
> file names made no sense.
>
> -rob

Another solution is to use trfs(4)
http://planb.lsub.org/magic/man2html/4/trfs