* [9fans] I would like to use plan9, but...
@ 2008-01-28 10:04 Nolan.Php
From: Nolan.Php @ 2008-01-28 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I would like very much to use plan9, but there are some things i am
unsure of.
this is a list of things i need to know how to do:

1)write to newsgroups, and use internet using ethernet
2)use a c compiler
3)a good tutorial site for commands, programming etc.

Thanks

-nolan

* Re: [9fans] I would like to use plan9, but...
@ 2008-01-28 10:18 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2008-01-28 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1)write to newsgroups, and use internet using ethernet

nntpfs(4) for newsgroups, check supported hw wiki page to
see if your nic it is known to work

> 2)use a c compiler

ken's cc!

> 3)a good tutorial site for commands, programming etc.

/sys/^(doc man) and nemo's intro: http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

Federico G. Benavento

---
/bin/fortune:
fortune: Command not found.

* Re: [9fans] I would like to use plan9, but...
@ 2008-01-28 21:09 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As for internet using ethernet,

	1) Find out what type of Ethernet card you have
	2) Look at plan9.ini(8) to see how to change plan9.ini to do so.
		% man -P plan9.ini
	   Use the arrow keys to go through pages and q to quit.
	3) Type:
		% 9fat:
		% cd /n/9fat
		% acme plan9.ini
	4) Add the necessary line to the end of the file
	5) Hold down Shift and right-click the word Put at the top. Do the
same with Exit. This saves and quits.
	6) Type
		% cd
		% cd lib/
		% acme profile
	7) At the top, add the lines
		ndb/dns -r
		ip/ipconfig
	   Save and quit as above.
	8) Type
		% fshalt -r
	   This will reboot your system safely, and when you get back up you
should have your Internet configured.

Other places for tutorials:
- the Plan 9 wiki (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/)
- type:
	% cd /sys/doc
	% lc
    Find a document you might like to read, and then
	% page <documentname>.ps
    For example,
	- lp.ps	Describes how to use the printer
	- rc.ps	Describes how to use rc, the Plan 9 shell
	- comp.ps	Describes how to use the Plan 9 compilers
	- troff.ps	Describes how to use troff, the text formatter
	- ape.ps	Describes how to port alien software to Plan 9 using APE
- type
	man -P 1 <programname>
   to see info on a program

To compile C programs, it depends on how you wrote them:
	- Compiling programs written exclusively for Plan 9 in the Plan 9
system:
		8c file.c
		8l -o programname file.8
	- Compiling ANSI C/POSIX programs:
		pcc -o programname file.c

@ 2008-01-29 14:57   ` Lou Kamenov
From: Lou Kamenov @ 2008-01-29 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 28, 2008 10:18 AM, Federico G. Benavento <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1)write to newsgroups, and use internet using ethernet
>
> nntpfs(4) for newsgroups, check supported hw wiki page to
> see if your nic it is known to work

There is also News for acme, which uses nntpfs.