* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 20:56 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-15 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This conversation is really starting to get interesting.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2281 bytes --]

From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:50:43 -0400

> > Nothing's really impossible,
>
> It is impossible to eat the sun.

Define what you mean by ``eat the sun.''  If you mean the solar body
commonly refered to as the Earth's Sun (one of the focii about which
this planet orbits), and you mean consuming it orally its entirety,
then I agree.  However, a lot of the planet's energy comes from the
Sun, and indeed, it's commonly agreed that without said star, life on
this planet would not exist.  Therefore, nearly everything you consume
(which is typically organic in nature) contains energy from the Sun.
Therefore, any time you eat anything organic (assuming it originated on
this planet), you are in effect eatting part of the Sun, though
indirectly.

> (It may be possible to eat a SUN workstation, but that's not what I mean.)

But I bet it'd give you one hell of a stomach ache....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-17  9:10   ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-05-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

lmfao; Sure 'acid' and 'acidpaper' could be seen as a
sketchy thing in /sys/doc, but, THC tips on 9fans? Now
we know for sure plan9 is the rock-star OS ;)
Don

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
       [not found] <20020516192637.3C3F33408A@bolivar.ugcs.caltech.edu>
@ 2002-05-16 21:49 ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-05-16 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quinn Dunkan; +Cc: 9fans

"Quinn Dunkan" wrote :
> > much of the THC is lost during burning. The most efficient method is to
extra
> Is this the same guy who wanted wider window borders because he was
stoned?

guilty as charged, I got a bigger monitor

> > Long file names - at last I can keep my mp3's in the kfs!
> And MP3s too!  Don't you know they're evil?
mea gulpa

> > time to stop playing video games and write some code for a bit.
> *Violent* video games, right?
er, are there any other sort    (worth playing :)

> Between this and unholy talk of consuming the universe, 9fans has become
the
> home of iniquity.

I use IRC too

(I presume Quinn that you *meant* to post it to the list too )

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-16 19:00       ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2002-05-16 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > What about eating hash grown in a tin-foil lined cupboard using sodium
> > lamps powered by the local nuclear reactor?
>
> ...and potted in soil that contains nutrients that come from, you guessed
> it, the Sun.

Soil, gosh! how primitive.

Rockwool is considered one of the best media, no messy soil to worry about.

> > Probably better to smoke it though.
much of the THC is lost during burning. The most efficient method is to extract the THC, which can be easily done at home as it is soluble in oil (not water).
Good methods are simply shallow frying in olive oil and sugar or baking in a cake. This way one is protected from the carcenogens produce during oxidisation.

> Not after announcing it on 9fans, for all the world to see....  Her
> Majesty's drug police might be knocking on your door soon to see this
> little experiment in horticulture first hand.  :-)

gawd bless 'em. They use the heat sensitive cameras in the helicopters to scan housing estates for hot roofs.

Someone I knew turned the corner of his street and was blessed with the scene of the fire brigade dousing his burning roof as his set-up had caught fire. Naturally the police were already there. He had to just keep walking and leave the house and what posessions there were behind.

Hello btw. my email server has been down (in pieces) for a few weeks. And boy did I miss a few things. The 4th Ed being announced for one!

kudos to everyone who contributed their hours and brains.

Long file names - at last I can keep my mp3's in the kfs!

time to stop playing video games and write some code for a bit.

matt

(with too much email to read!)

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-16  9:06   ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-05-16  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Now, now ... it's only impossible for *us* to eat the sun.  It's
> entirely possible we're actually swimming about in the stomach
> soup of a larger being who swallowed the sun, the earth, etc. ;-P
>
> > > Nothing's really impossible,
> >
> > It is impossible to eat the sun.  (It may be possible to eat a SUN workstation,
> > but that's not what I mean.)

Lol, unless, of course, we devised a machine using quantum mechanics
or some form of even lower level particle manipulation that compressed
or miniturized the sun into a small compact 'puffed wheat' like
object. Then you'd spend an eternity exercising to lose those
unsightly tera-pounds wishing u had the sun around to help you sweat
out the fat.
Don

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 21:20     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-05-15 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-15 21:01   ` Chris Hollis-Locke
From: Chris Hollis-Locke @ 2002-05-15 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-15 20:50 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-05-15 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-15 18:31 ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2002-05-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Now, now ... it's only impossible for *us* to eat the sun.  It's
entirely possible we're actually swimming about in the stomach
soup of a larger being who swallowed the sun, the earth, etc. ;-P

Sam

On Wed, 15 May 2002, rob pike, esq. wrote:

> > Nothing's really impossible,
>
> It is impossible to eat the sun.  (It may be possible to eat a SUN workstation,
> but that's not what I mean.)
>
> -rob

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 18:25 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-15 18:23 ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2002-05-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| You'd be much better off copying the contents of the CD to your
| kfs and editing things there.

Or (as we've often discussed here) write an overlay filesystem, like
Sun's tfs, so that you can make your changes in kfs and inherit the rest
from the cd.

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 18:20 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-15 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I presume that the ISO image was generated in some fashion and I
> haven't yet found out how, so please illuminate me, but mostly I'd

mk9660(8)

> be very excited to discover that 9660srv can modify an ISO image
> and retain its structure successfully, if it needs some work and
> someone wants to guide me, I'll happily help.  I did note that the
> 4ed version has some undeployed code for "removing" files where
> the 3ed version has just the "not supported" message.

This is basically impossible.  9660srv contains no provisions
for editing the file system.  ISO 9660 is very strongly meant
to be read-only.  Every file and directory is required to be laid
out as a contiguous byte sequence.  Thus, growing one would
require moving it to the end of the CD (which would leave unused
space where the file had been) or sliding the rest of the data
on the CD and fixing all the offsets.  Nothing's really impossible,
but this is just a royal pain.

You'd be much better off copying the contents of the CD to your
kfs and editing things there.

Russ

* [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 15:22 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-05-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm obviously too off-tune to understand Plan 9's permission scheme,
it keeps catching me out.  I suppose the lack of "root" to solve
all problems does require a clearer understanding and I'm notoriously
slow.

I haven't yet installed 4ed but I've been having a good look at
the distribution and especially the man pages.  There's a lot of
exciting stuff in there.

In my exuberance, I thought I'd install the ISO image as a file
and access it using 9660srv(1) which is a very handy way indeed to
read the various documents etc.

Where I failed, was when I thought I'd alter something (I forget
what) on the image.  Now, I have no idea how complicated it is to
manage an ISO image (specially one with multiplicates :-) but it
would have been so nice to be able to do it that I really regretted
receiving a "permission denied" or somesuch.

Naturally, I did attempt to tidy up all the permissions (I see Rob
owns more or less all the image contents) as well as the underlying
ones (I was using disk/kfs at the time) but that was quite
unsuccessful.

I presume that the ISO image was generated in some fashion and I
haven't yet found out how, so please illuminate me, but mostly I'd
be very excited to discover that 9660srv can modify an ISO image
and retain its structure successfully, if it needs some work and
someone wants to guide me, I'll happily help.  I did note that the
4ed version has some undeployed code for "removing" files where
the 3ed version has just the "not supported" message.

Back to permissions, it may be just something in the way I set
things up that blocked my use of 9660srv, so a short lesson on
layered permissions would be welcome:

	% cd /dist/Plan9/4ed
	% bunzip2 < plan9.iso.bz2 > plan9.iso
	% 9660srv
	% mount -c /srv/9660srv /n/kremvax plan9.iso
	% cd /n/kremvax/sys/src/cmd

this is from memory.  What would it take to allow me to edit a file
or create a directory at this point?

++L