* [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16  1:20 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-11-16  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If, on auth server, the key stored in nvram has been changed,
certainly auth/keyfs is unable to decrypt /adm/keys anymore
without some management.

What is the appropriate way to change the nvram key
on auth server, then?

* Re: [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16  1:47 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-16  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If, on auth server, the key stored in nvram has been changed,
> certainly auth/keyfs is unable to decrypt /adm/keys anymore
> without some management.

use auth/convkeys to re-encrypt the keys.  see presotto's message with
subject 'strange things in /sys/log/auth' from 2003-07-03.

andrey

ps: i've never actually used it, just relaying the information :)

* Re: [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16 10:33   ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2004-11-16 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ps: i've never actually used it, just relaying the information :)

I did. It worked fine.

* Re: [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16  6:46 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2004-11-16  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 	I'm stuck at level 43 (easy).

level hard-80 is a bastard.

* Re: [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16  2:11   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-11-16  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i doubt i'll go beyond the gui phase.

but LANL have this nice new, it slices, it dices, 90 teraflop m/c, right?

* Re: [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16  2:07 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-16  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> By the way, I noticed that convkeys is mentioned twice in auth(8).

the second one is convkeys2, i submitted a patch just now.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16  2:04 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-16  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> P.S.
> 	I'm stuck at level 43 (easy).

i haven't played in a while.  i got interested in Go in the past three
months and have been playing my board games outside of the computer.
i'm thinking of writing a Go fs to be used as a 9grid service -- '9fs
go' and ls all the games in progression.

i doubt i'll go beyond the gui phase.

:)

* Re: [9fans] changing nvram key in auth server
@ 2004-11-16  1:55 YAMANASHI Takeshi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-11-16  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Nov 16 10:48:08 JST 2004, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> > If, on auth server, the key stored in nvram has been changed,
> > certainly auth/keyfs is unable to decrypt /adm/keys anymore
> > without some management.
>
> use auth/convkeys to re-encrypt the keys.  see presotto's message with
> subject 'strange things in /sys/log/auth' from 2003-07-03.|

Thank you for the information.  I will try soon.
	http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2003-July/025700.html

By the way, I noticed that convkeys is mentioned twice in auth(8).

     AUTH(8)                                                   AUTH(8)
       :
     SYNOPSIS
       :
          auth/convkeys [-p] keyfile