* [9fans] plan9port update - venti and backups
@ 2005-07-18 23:35 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-07-18 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I worked through a few months of Plan 9 from User Space
changes over the last week.  Many new things in CVS and
also in the web tarball.

The main new thing is a revised venti(8) server which should
be significantly faster than the Plan 9 one.  Eventually
this code will become the venti(8) server for Plan 9 itself.
Also included is a new venti application, vbackup(8), which
stores disk image-based backups to a venti server and
presents them via a loopback NFS server.  Like everything
else in plan9port, venti and vbackup have been tested
mainly on Linux and FreeBSD.

Unlike on Plan 9, venti is fully documented with a suite of
man pages describing not only the server but the system
in general, the protocol, and the library.

The tree should compile cleanly on Mac OS X 10.4 now.
Hopefully I haven't broken support for earlier OS X versions.

Running on SunOS is a continuing challenge.  Maybe it's
a little easier now.  Feel free to send me patches to make
life better for SunOS users (they deserve it, the poor things!)
or for other architectures.

Various other things have been tweaked or stirred around.
See the CHANGES file for details.

Russ

http://swtch.com/plan9port
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man7/venti.html
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man8/vbackup.html
http://swtch.com/usr/local/plan9/CHANGES

* Re: [9fans] plan9port update - venti and backups
@ 2005-07-19 19:59 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-07-19 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Cool beans,  I'll give it a shot later this week perhaps

@ 2005-07-22 18:22 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2005-07-22 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i see this in CHANGES:
lib9/malloc: locks around all the malloc routines.
		old Linux libc cannot be trusted.  maybe other
		systems.  paranoia rules the day.
does this mean you've done something regarding the malloc corruption
i saw in acme?  more specifically, do i need to maintain my patch to
keep acme running if i install the new plan9port updates?

thanks.

-rob