* [9fans] venti workalike in Python
@ 2003-12-10  2:00 John E. Barham
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: John E. Barham @ 2003-12-10  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm attempting to decipher the venti and vac code and write a workalike in
Python.  (packet.c had me bogged down for a while...)  At this point I don't
care that much about compatibility, and can't really test it as I don't have
a running instance of Plan 9.  But as has been noted here before, the venti
procol is relatively trivial--hello, ping, read, write, goodbye, error,
although the two auth messages appear to be unused for the moment?--so
making it compatible at some point shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Having said that, is there any documentation on the venti protocol apart
from the source?

I'm not planning on re-implementing venti's arena code but thought that it
would be quick and easy for testing purposes to implement the back-end
storage using something like dbm or, mea culpa, a relational database.  (I
added binary type support to the Python extension for SQLite with this in
mind.)  Thoughts?

    John

* Re: [9fans] venti workalike in Python
@ 2003-12-10 12:11 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-12-10 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've had a request, so I've added libdbm.tar and libmdbm.tar to my
Plan 9 software page, http://www.collyer.net/~geoff/9.