* [9fans] bridging
@ 2008-11-18 14:30 Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2008-11-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On a related note to the nat discussion, is there a bridging mechanism
similar in function to Stephen Hemminger's Linux brutils in the
distribution?

Ian

* Re: [9fans] bridging
@ 2008-11-18 14:42 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On a related note to the nat discussion, is there a bridging mechanism
> similar in function to Stephen Hemminger's Linux brutils in the
> distribution?
>

> Ian

is trampoline(8) what you're looking for?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] bridging
@ 2008-11-18 15:14 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2008-11-18 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> is there a bridging mechanism
> similar in function to Stephen Hemminger's Linux brutils

Try bridge(3)

* Re: [9fans] bridging
@ 2008-11-18 17:07   ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2008-11-18 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> is there a bridging mechanism
>> similar in function to Stephen Hemminger's Linux brutils
>
> Try bridge(3)

Ahh I think that may be what I was looking for, thanks.  I note that
the man page says it won't support IPv6 but will this work for other
ethernet types or must it be IPv4.  What I really want is the ability
to put a small plan9 box (like a soekris for starters) in between two
hosts or a host and a switch then run snoopy on the conversation.

Ian

* Re: [9fans] bridging
@ 2008-11-18 17:19     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-18 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Ahh I think that may be what I was looking for, thanks.  I note that
> the man page says it won't support IPv6 but will this work for other
> ethernet types or must it be IPv4.  What I really want is the ability
> to put a small plan9 box (like a soekris for starters) in between two
> hosts or a host and a switch then run snoopy on the conversation.
>
> Ian

if that's what you want, you may want to make a copy of snoopy
that takes an extra argument "[-c dest]" that copies packets
matching the filter to dest.  you'll need one snoopy in each
direction to do it this way so it may be worth the effort to
allow snoopy to read from two input sources and copy packets
to the other side.  cec(3)'s mux.c has an example of how to read
from two input sources and pretend that you're single-threaded.

the 83815s on the soekris are a tad pokey, even by 100mbit
standards.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] bridging
@ 2008-11-18 17:57       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2008-11-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There are several models of Soekris machines.  We bought the 5501s,
and they each have 4 VT6105M Ethernet interfaces, which aren't stellar
but seem to be okay.

ipifc or ipmux, described in ip(3), are probably worth looking at.
6in4(8) is an example of a program that uses both to encapsulate ipv6
in ipv4.