* [9fans] netbook ( no cd ) install help
@ 2009-03-01  5:57 Ben Calvert
From: Ben Calvert @ 2009-03-01  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the install_notes page mentions that you can install with a local fat
partition, but doesn't give any particulars.

I'll be happy to put together a wiki page if someone can walk me through
the procedure

thanks,

Ben

* Re: [9fans] netbook ( no cd ) install help
@ 2009-03-01 13:27 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-03-01 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can install from a local fat partition if you put the plan9.iso file
in the partition - don't unpack it, just put the single big file there
and the installer scripts will allow you to chose it as a source for the
full install.

A bigger problem is you have to boot the installer kernel, normally this
comes from either a floppy disk or the install CDROM (which contains a
floppy disk inage). If you don't have either of these you may be able to do
some tricks by creating a bootable partition by hand on your hard disk,
though this is going to get painful.

Maybe somone else can think of some other technique.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] netbook ( no cd ) install help
@ 2009-03-01 22:45   ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-03-01 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Booting from a USB flash drive is possible (if the BIOS supports
booting from USB), but a bit tricky. I had to make few small changes
in 9load. I have an image somewhere, if anybody is interested in
trying it I can try to find it.

Thanks,
    Lucho

@ 2009-03-01 23:14     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-03-01 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Latchesar Ionkov <lucho@ionkov.net> wrote:
> Booting from a USB flash drive is possible (if the BIOS supports
> booting from USB), but a bit tricky. I had to make few small changes
> in 9load. I have an image somewhere, if anybody is interested in
> trying it I can try to find it.

what do you do when you have to point where fossil is to the kernel?

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] netbook ( no cd ) install help
@ 2009-03-02  6:37     ` Ben Calvert
From: Ben Calvert @ 2009-03-02  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ya, that would be great

@ 2009-03-02 15:37       ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-03-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The image that I have is equivalent to the Plan9 floppy disk. You need
to have the content of the distribution copied somewhere on the hard
disk, or install from the network.

Thanks,
   Lucho

@ 2009-03-03 16:06       ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-03-03 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can try /n/sources/contrib/lucho/usbinst9.img.gz.

Just dd it to a USB flash drive and try booting from it.

Thanks,
    Lucho

@ 2009-03-04 18:32         ` Ben Calvert
From: Ben Calvert @ 2009-03-04 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

trying now...

@ 2009-03-04 19:06           ` Ben Calvert
From: Ben Calvert @ 2009-03-04 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ok - this boots and launches into the installer.

I need to back track and free up some disk space, I'll report back
when i've accomplished that

Ben