* [9fans] Fuse bashing (lines of code)
@ 2006-01-24 20:19 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-01-24 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wirth, Niklaus, ``A Plea for Lean Software'', Computer, February 1995, pp 64-68.

* Re: [9fans] Fuse bashing (lines of code)
@ 2006-01-24 20:30 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-01-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/24/06, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> Wirth, Niklaus, ``A Plea for Lean Software'', Computer, February 1995, pp 64-68.

A scan is available at http://d.linux-bg.org/download/docs/wirth.pdf
(though I'm at work and didn't test it with page.

* Re: [9fans] Fuse bashing (lines of code)
@ 2006-01-24 20:40   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-24 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well, Dr Wirth, Pascal was so lean that *everyone* added extensions
(incompatible of course) as fast as they could type, to fatten up
(add missing functionality) to the poor thing.

brucee

@ 2006-01-24 20:42     ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-01-24 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Including Dr. Wirth.  Pascall was followed by Modula-2 then Oberon.
>From the quality of the result it seems that it works better to think
before typing.  :)

@ 2006-01-24 20:44 ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2006-01-24 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Wirth, Niklaus, ``A Plea for Lean Software'', Computer, February 1995, pp 64-68.

check this response out too:
Parnas, David Lorge, "Why Software Jewels Are Rare", Computer,
February 1996 pp 57-60.

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~maratb/readings/parnas-jewels.pdf

* Re: [9fans] Fuse bashing (lines of code)
@ 2006-01-24 20:47     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-01-24 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, Dr Wirth, Pascal was so lean that *everyone* added extensions
> (incompatible of course) as fast as they could type, to fatten up
> (add missing functionality) to the poor thing.

to be fair, and i write as someone that found Pascal frustrating enough
not to use it much (although i implemented it, obviously yielding to
a sadistic tendency to earn money), that happens to most software.
many extensions were trying to free it from its batch environment;
some of the additions were attempts to carry the old ways into new things.

wirth himself did a respectable job i think with the Oberon environment,
which was quite usable, and discarded more from Modula and Pascal than it added.
the `lean' paper post-dated that experience, so one could say he did practise what
he was preaching.

* Re: [9fans] Fuse bashing (lines of code)
@ 2006-01-24 20:58   ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2006-01-24 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/24/2006 15:30, Jack Johnson wrote:
> A scan is available at http://d.linux-bg.org/download/docs/wirth.pdf

A hardcopy will be hanging on the bulletin board in each lab at school
tonight--blissfully ignored, no doubt!--whilst we students hunch over our
java code.

The final teaching of assembler started one year ago today.  C++, C#,
Java, and VB remain.  Oh well...

~Jason

* Re: [9fans] Fuse bashing (lines of code)
@ 2006-01-24 21:00       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes - i've used both - but after >10 years of watching the pascal fights.
limbo is indeed lean and mean and my labguage of choice.

brucee

On 1/25/06, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> Including Dr. Wirth.  Pascall was followed by Modula-2 then Oberon.
> >From the quality of the result it seems that it works better to think
> before typing.  :)
>

> > Well, Dr Wirth, Pascal was so lean that *everyone* added extensions
> > (incompatible of course) as fast as they could type, to fatten up
> > (add missing functionality) to the poor thing.
> >
> > brucee

* Re: [9fans] wirth
@ 2006-01-24 23:45         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-01-24 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >From the quality of the result it seems that it works better to think
> before typing.  :)

he can still type (or scan, or both): http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/books.html
has pdf files for various books now out-of-print

* Re: [9fans] wirth
@ 2006-01-25  7:06           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-25  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My recollection is that Modular-2 was done my Luca and Butler at
at DecPerl.  I can find what I believe is an original manual if I have to.
I was there shorthly after it was being embraced.  It is a good language.

brucee

@ 2006-01-25  7:16             ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2006-01-25  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

modula-2 was wirth and modula-3 was the SRC crowd.

-rob

@ 2006-01-25  7:26               ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-25  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs